VMware Cloud Community
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Move VMs out of vApps?

Hi,

Has anyone tried to move VMs out from vApps?

I have a bunch of VMs as OVF files that I have exported from an old system, and I need to get them in to vCD as regular VMs. All tips are welcome!

/Andreas

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With 9.5, you can easily move it from one vApp to another, is that what you're looking for? vApp construct has been decoupled as of late too.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've noticed that single vm vApps shows up under VMs, but a vApp with multiple VMs only shows under vApps.

What I would like is to move a VM out from a vApp and treat it as a single VM, but as far as I've seen it's only possible to move it to another vApp.

/Andreas

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can always create an empty vApp and then use the ImportIntoExistingVApp REST API.

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry for the late reply.

My intention was to get rid of any vApps, not to create new ones.. But I guess a hack of the database to hide the vApp would work as well, even though it's a quite ugly hack Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"My intention was to get rid of any vApps" <-- you can't really do that, those are central in vCD, there is no VM without a vApp.

Even the "standalone" VMs have a vApp backing them (even though it's not shown in the UI).

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You're absolutely correct in that, so the option is to hack the database to hide the vApp in the UI. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jnivoit
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

obviously, we don't ever recommend people tweak things in the DB directly...

We do have APIs to move things around, it could be a small feature request to have a boolean flag to indicate that the desired end result is a standalone VM.

0 Kudos