VMware Cloud Community
aha_tom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move VMs from vSphere to vCloud Director VDC on the same cluster

We want to migrate some our existing VMs from our vSphere into our internal vCloud. The vCloud is hosted on the same cluster as the vSphere. My question here is: do I need vCloud Connector to do the job?

I actually installed vCloud Connector and found it is kind unnecessary, unless I am doing something wrong here. The vCloud Connector allows to copy a vApp into VDC's catalog. So to use the VM, we actually have to deploy the vApp as a template, which can be achieved just through "Import from vSphere" option in VDC without all the hassle of vCloud Connector.

Am I doing anything wrong here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cfor
Expert
Expert

As you are on the same vCenter the "Import" option sounds like the best way to go.  Connector is really made for moving between different sites.

Another option - but not as good when on the same vCenter, is to export OVF of the VM, and import that.  (But extra steps when on the same vCenter)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos