VMware Cloud Community
cmartinvalle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Modifying virtual hardware while deploying a vApp

Hi, is it possible to modify virtual hardware at the time of deploying a vApp in vCloud Director or is it necessary another tool? I mean, what I would like is to deploy a virtual machine from my catalog (i.e., a Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard 64 bits) but increasing its memory or vCPU.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is not possible right now.  You have to copy the entire vApp, then Modify the virtual hardware, then power it on.  Changing the hardware during the deployment process is a feature request which is being looked at.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is not possible right now.  You have to copy the entire vApp, then Modify the virtual hardware, then power it on.  Changing the hardware during the deployment process is a feature request which is being looked at.

0 Kudos
cmartinvalle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thank you very much. In order to modify the virtual hardware, I suppose it must be done from vSphere client, not from the vCloud Director admin console, am I right?

0 Kudos
PeterBlatherwic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM hardware CAN be modified in vCloud Director.  Select the VM within the vApp, and go to Properties.  Can change things like number of vCPUs, memory size, disk size there.  However, resourcing, such as CPU and memory reservations / limits can only be modified if the VM is deployed in a Reservation Pool vDC.  

Hope that helps,

PeterB

cmartinvalle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that's right, thank you very much! I've found where to do it.

0 Kudos
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Modifying the virtual hardware (like vCPU and Memory) during deployment will be possible in vCloud Director 5.5.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/vCloud/Whats-New-VMware-vCloud-Director-55-Technical-Whitep...

cmartinvalle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great!!!

0 Kudos