VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Modifying existing catalog items

Once a vApp is saved to the catalog there appears to be no way of editing it. In order to do this I need to create a vApp based on the catalog item, modify it, then save it back into the catalog. I am finding this pretty frustrating. Does anyone else share my frustration? Am I missing something simple somewhere that would allow me to do this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Catalog items, whether vApps or media, are designed to be immutable. Only meta data of the vapp (e.g., vapp name, customization settings) can be changed. VMs inside the vapp and their meta data cannot be modified.

The worflow that you mentioned in your post (creating a vApp in your cloud and then modifying it) is the only way to "modify" an existing template item. I put modify in quotes because you essentially make a new item and delete the old one.

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think this behavior should be changed. This could be a very time consuming process on a large vApp with many individual virtual machines. I should be able to take a catalog item offline or put it into maintenance mode or something of that nature, fire it up to modify the contents of the vms if needed, modify attributes of the vApp, then save and unlock the image.

0 Kudos
cvbarney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is still the case with vCD 1.5? I was looking for a solution to easely change/update an VM within an catalog template, but it seems still not possible to do that. Only the way as mentioned above by qc4vmware?!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Catalog items are still essentially immutable.

0 Kudos
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you give an example of the changes or modifications you would be making?

Jake Robinson VCP, vExpert - geekafterfive.com - Twitter: @jakerobinson
0 Kudos
guitzer
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Sender:

I will be Out Of Office returning by Nov. 14th, 2011. I will get back to you ASAP when return.

Regards

0 Kudos