VMware Cloud Community
MichealBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating to vCloud 5.5 from vSphere4

We are migrating a large number of VMs from vSphere 4 to vCD 5.5. Many systems migrate without issues, but a significant number migrate OK and boot the first time but after updating VMware tools when the system reboots I can log in but there is no desktop or start menu. This happens for all users. I have looked at Microsoft KBs on this issue and most of the articles say that it is a malware issue. All these VMs have either the latest McAfee ir Trend AV and are scanned regularly both with the installed AV and from outside so I do not believe that is the issue. It seems to occur after guest customization runs. Has anyone seen this type of issue before? I have migrated a lot of systems and have not run into this until starting to move development systems, build systems, etc. Some of them are quite old but I have had their owners install all Microsoft patches and hot fixes before I migrate them to no avail. ANy pointers would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

1.  Were you able to pinpoint to an exact OS flavor ? Like Windows 2000/2003 ? If so , did you configure the sysprep folders ? VMware KB: Creating Microsoft Sysprep packages on VMware vCloud Director cells

2. Have a look in the vSphere infrastructure, at the events tab of the VM . See if there are logs indicating that Guest OS customization failed.

3. Try to migrate again one of the VMs that you know for sure it had issues ( I don't know how you are migrating them ) . Ensure that "Enable guest OS customization" is UNCHECKED at Properties -> Guest OS Customization of the VM .  If it starts like this , then maybe there is something going wrong after Customization runs.

If you find / already found the issue, let everyone here know.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
florindespa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

1.  Were you able to pinpoint to an exact OS flavor ? Like Windows 2000/2003 ? If so , did you configure the sysprep folders ? VMware KB: Creating Microsoft Sysprep packages on VMware vCloud Director cells

2. Have a look in the vSphere infrastructure, at the events tab of the VM . See if there are logs indicating that Guest OS customization failed.

3. Try to migrate again one of the VMs that you know for sure it had issues ( I don't know how you are migrating them ) . Ensure that "Enable guest OS customization" is UNCHECKED at Properties -> Guest OS Customization of the VM .  If it starts like this , then maybe there is something going wrong after Customization runs.

If you find / already found the issue, let everyone here know.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
MichealBlack
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not know the root cause, but the OS is Windows XP 32bit and upgrading it from SP2 to SP3 and applying all updates seems to have worked. I would rather get rid of all the unsupported operating systems, but it is not my call, I just have to deal with them. At any rate, after applying all updates they have migrated without any more issues as have the Windows 2000 VMs.

0 Kudos