VMware Cloud Community
RoscoT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrate VMs between Provider VDCs

Hello all,

Having a bit of problem migrating a VM from one Provider VDC to another. I'm sure it's a simple solution but can't for the life of me work it out.

I have two Provider VDCs; let's say Provider_VDC_1 and Provider_VDC_2.

Provider_VDC_1 has all of my production ESXi hosts and VMs while Provider_VDC_2 has just a single development host in a separate vCenter cluster.

Under vSphere Resources I see under the Resource Pools folder the two "Resource Pools" equivalent to the relevant vCenter clusters.

When I try to "Migrate" a VM from the first/production Resource Pool I get the dialog box giving the option to "Automatically select a resource pool" or "Manually select a resource pool".

If I choose "Automatically select a resource pool" it shows the error message: "No resource pools available"

If I choose "Manually select a resource pool" the list is empty and if I click Ok it shows the error "Please select a Resource Pool to migrate the VM".

I guess I'm failing to do something pretty basic. Can anyone give a steer on this?

Cheers,

Rosco

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bear in mind that both Storage vMotion and vMotion restrictions apply. You say difference vCenter cluster. Does this mean you have one vCenter but two clusters or two vCenters ?

Assuming you got one vCenter, two clusters, one with two hosts and one with a single host, you have to meet all requirements in order to (s)vMotion the VMs between clusters. This includes networking, storage and even CPU / EVS

It all depends on your setup so I think we'd need to see more of your environment to be able to help properly (especially versions used)

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
RoscoT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply kileritchi. The two clusters are in the same vCenter and in the same vCenter datacenter. I can vMotion non-vCloud VMs between the two clusters without issue. It's a pretty standard environment:

• vCloud Director version 5.1.2 1068441
  • vCenter Server version 5.1.0 build 1123961
  • SQL 2012

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not without looking at it, just make sure that the second PVDC, like the first one, has a dedicated resource pool and that the new PVDC has enough resources to accommodate the VMs / vApps.

A screenshot of the setup might help, but there are so many things which could be wrong that it is hard for me to visualise your setup and possible setup issues Smiley Sad

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos