VMware Cloud Community
batkins61
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for developer info/examples for VCD API extensions

I'm looking for the best place to find information and especially examples on developing VCD/vCloud API extenstions.  I've found presentations and some documentation, but no actual examples or current discussions (the latest here are from 2013, and few have answers).    Here are a couple of questions I have:

• If not here, where is the best place to ask questions and find information about developing API extensions?
  • Are API extensions still a recommended way to extend/integrate with VCD?
  • I'm looking for examples of an API extension that creates new resource classes and uses VCD authentication/authorization to access external systems (correlating VCD users with external API users, etc.)?

Anything from actual code to best practices would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

I think your starting point is here:

SDKs: vSphere SDK, vCenter SDK, vCloud SDK - VMware Developer Center

We have PHP, .NET, and Java SDKs already.  Or you can use a standard REST API client to communicate with vCloud Director.

There is a dedicated forum for developers.  e.g.: https://developercenter.vmware.com/forums?id=3221

If you want a higher level of assistance, support can be SDK support can be purchased from VMware.

0 Kudos
batkins61
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response!  The SDKs you referred to appear to be focused on client development.  I'm not developing a client, but rather an API extension using Extension Services.  In short, I don't want to "communicate with vCD", I want to extend the vCD API so clients can communicate with my service.

I've also been digging in the development center, but there isn't much there on API extension development, and what little was there is over a year old.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Oh, sorry.

I'm not aware of anyone having done that sort of thing.  =(

0 Kudos
rkamal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=VCDSDKJAVA550

There is an artifact named - VMware-vCloudDirector-JavaSDK-Community-5.5.0-1294395.zip containing basic VMware vCloud Java SDK Extensibility Samples.

Regards,
Rajesh Kamal.

batkins61
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Rajesh, I'll definitely check that out!

0 Kudos