VMware Cloud Community
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

Linked clones in vCloud 5.1

Hi,

When i have created VDC, I have checked fast provisioing check box then created clones. and i assume these are all linked clones. Now, How would i know these are all linked clones ?

I have created one VDC with out checking fast provisiong check box and created clones with same template(which i have used in VDC with fast provisiong). I cant see any difference in disks in these VMs compare to Linked clones.  the allocation of disks are same size.

Did i created linked clones in that VDC with selecting fast provisiong check box? how would i check whether these are all linked clones or not?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

When you right click and get properties on a VM you will see "Chain Length" -- If > 1 then it is a linked clone... If the number is large that lets you know you are linking off links, of links...

Hope that helps.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I see the number difference for each clone. Then i provisioned a full clone machine. But i dont see any difference to full clone machine and a linked clone machine in hardware size and the utilization. it took same disk size in both(full clone and linked clone ) machines. The only difference i have noticed, The VMs are creating very quick when we do linked clones than full.

0 Kudos
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

Do i have to select "Enable VAAI for fast provision" in Datastore properties? I didnt select before. 

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

VAAI is a storage partner technology.  So you would need to have support on your storage for this.  If you do it may be able to offload the linked clone operations for better speed and also fix a major disk alignment issue that all linked clones currently have.  I know NetApp has a plugin to support VAAI; but not sure of all the vendors that support it.  (For NetApp you have to install a plugin on all your ESXi hosts)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

I have enabled fast provisioing check box in VDC and then created clones, But i dont see any difference in disk size or utilization. It took like full clone. Do i need to do anything to get linked clones after create vApp? My template size 200GB I can able to create only 5 VMs then complaining about no storage. I want to get linked clones so that i can create more VMs. Please help

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

To graphically be able to view what is going on with the disks use the Lctree VMware fling found at --> http://labs.vmware.com/flings/lctree

If VM's are linked they will be displayed in a chain.  If not they will be on the same level.  In the attached file I have a couple of both displayed.

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos