VMware Cloud Community
rjanakangnax
Contributor
Contributor

Limiting Org vDCs by CPU cores

Is it possible to restrict an Org vDC by a number of cores it can see from the cluster or Resource pool in vCD?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not with any degree of granularity.  What is your use case?

0 Kudos
rjanakangnax
Contributor
Contributor

One possible use case - Tiering services based on # of cores. Let's say I have one RP/Cluster made of servers with mulitple cores (expensive than the server with less # of core) and I do not want a user utlizing more than certain # of cores in their VMs. If they want to then they have to pay more.

0 Kudos
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That is contrary to the model.  You want to stay away from tying up resources dependent on anything physical.

You should, instead, create a provider with an allocation pool model.  This way you can set a reservation for the pool up to what the customer says they need and charge them accordingly for usage of that pool.  Anything above/beyond the reservation you can charge a premium.

0 Kudos
rjanakangnax
Contributor
Contributor

I agree and understand in terms of allocation pool /reservation in the number of Ghz. However, do I charge a customer who has a 4Ghz VM (utilizing say 8 cores- I need to have an expensive server for that) and another customer 4Ghz VM (utlizing say only one core ) the same?

0 Kudos
pic
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Depends.  The scenario is not clear.

A VM that is using (consistently?) 4GHz is only using 4 GHz whether or not 1 core or 8 cores is supplying the cycles.  What weighs more?  A pound of feathers or a pound of lead?  Smiley Happy

The confusion for me is I don't measure VM configurations in GHz.  I measure them on how many  vCPUs with which they are configured.  Those vCPUs will demand cycles from the physical CPUs but I can limit how many cycles they are allowed -- I just don't care which pCPUs provide the cycles.

0 Kudos