WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limitation of VMRC

Hi,

Remote Console seems to have some limitation:

- one (shared) VM connection at a time

- can't copy & paste outside of console

VMRC is the only way to connect to VM on isolated network. Any workaround?

Thanks,

William

0 Kudos
43 Replies
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

But here is my point

(and this is NOT marketing, it is purely technical debate): if VCD is ‘the

cloud’ and not just the ‘portal of the cloud’, then ‘the cloud’ by vmware will need to

be benchmarked according to this example:

Cloud component

VCD

Other (example)

Benchmark result

server

VMware VM

VMware VM (I choose

the best;-)

same

firewall

Vshield-edge

Checkpoint

comparison not even

fair

router

Vshield-edge

juniper

VSE is not a router it is a NAT device, routing in roadmap.

Load-balancer

Vshield-edge

F5

comparison not

even fair (http only today, single round-robin algoritm etc

IPSEC VPN

concentrator

Vshield-edge

Cisco VPN

comparison not even fair

SSL VPN

none(maybe

vshield-edge roadmap have SSL?)

Choose your favorite

We see when it comes

IPS, AFW

None (maybe

vshield-edge roadmap have IPS?)

Choose your favorite

We see when it comes

SSL offload

none(maybe

vshield-edge roadmap have SSL?)

Choose your favorite

We see when it comes

High-Availability

DC

‘regular’ Vmware-HA

for vshield-edge, all services will drop connections

Real-time failover,

state full failover etc …

We see when it comes

Many many other DC

components

Roadmap ?

Choose your favorite

We see when it comes

now, a customer can choose VCD to be ‘the cloud’ and then get what he gets from VSE stuff, or he might choose to use VCD as a ‘front-end’ to the cloud and use his normal DC components. If customer chooses the later then VCD needs to change naming conventions and networking concepts to support that option.

peaple already asking you for that option in VCD, the answer IMHO should not be 'if you want VCD then you need VSE as your router etc ...

Try to see it from this angle : If you are the DC admin building 'the

cloud' what would you think about a company initiating a marketing campain to use a cheap

open-vz manager as 'the next generation cloud VM-Manager' instead of Vcenter ?

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

Ho how i hope answers will not be '...but VCD is so easy to use ..' Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Ho how i hope answers will not be '...but VCD is so easy to use ..

Well, it's more than that. It's "ready to use". Smiley Happy

What you described in your post is a Boeing 777..... in 500 pieces on the floor. It doesn't fly.

Let's say that vCD (1.0!) is a Cessna... ready to fly, you can turn the key and you are ready to fly.

In your analysis (which I am not arguing with) you are missing a key point. To reach the ease of use, integration and user-experience that vCD provides out of the box you probably need to spend a few M$ of cash + a few months / years of customization.

That's the value of it. Not necessarily the richness of futures of a point in time technology (one of 500 comprising the whole solution).

Having this said, as I stated somewhere else, I can imagine vCD evolving over time onto a path were we add more features to our pieces as well as we allow easier integrations of third party features. This is my opinion and not an official VMware statement.

I don't understand your parallel with open-vz manager. I am not suggesting to use an inferior and cheaper technology compared to a better and more expensive technology. I am however suggesting that there are good reasons in using something when its overall value is much greater than the sum of the values of the standalone parts that comprise it.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre'

VMware vCloud Architect

twitter.com/mreferre

www.it20.info

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

ok, both points of view are clear, and i like the allegories you use Smiley Wink

now, it is also clear that a low-end alternative to services might fly for SMB, commercial, as usual, but not for ENT or SP class IMHO. (when i say 'fly' i don't mean they won't buy the VCD licenses and use it, i am saying end-customers will not migrate to cloud if infrastracture services will not be the same, exactly like they did not except virtual server alternative before vmware prooved VM provide the  same capabilities as physical server and some more).

what i see coming (and several cloud analysts and surveys suggest -num#1 inhibitor for cloud is security, num#2 is support for legacy DC components) is that at first phase your cloud customers will want to migrate current 'hosting enviroment' into 'the cloud' and this will include common services, migration of features will simply be impossible so they will need to look for solutions. A 'grienfield' SP might be using compute-only cloud which is totaly fine with VCD, for the long run customers will need to bet on the boeing 777 because it will be the one providing real value (and several boeing 777s are coming into the airfield Smiley Wink soon).

Future a side, several things must be fixed ASAP on VSE in VCD before going production : stateful failover (absolutely crucial if you want cloud to have same SLA as common DC from 10 years ago) , VSE per ORG rather then VSE per network , VSE with more then 2 vNIC , workaround to BW issues with VSE (vshield APP, zones instead) and of course routing support (instead of just NAT), all of which and others i have posted here as field engineering feedback.

0 Kudos