VMware Cloud Community
IMMatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lab Manager to vCloud Director issues...

We've got a fairly significant Lab Manager install here (100+ sockets, 1000+ deployed VMs) and are looking at vCloud Director.. I've got the evaluation installed, and have been playing with it.

This is my wish/need list.

SQL Server Support - #1 issue for us. We put together an Oracle Express server for the eval, but we do not have Oracle people in our group to support it. As I understand it, SQL Server support is coming soon (not soon enough).

Networking (edit: This is already in vCloud, I hadn't set it up correctly) - Looking for a 1:1 NAT between an isolated network and external network... similar to the "Connect Virtual to Physical Networks" option in LabMgr... I would like to be able to take my "Catalog vApp" pre-configured with static IPs and deploy it several times, connecting dynamically to different physical networks. I tried all sorts of things with vCloud and could not find equivalent functionalty.. the closest I saw was the fenced config which maps "internal" IPs to "externals" on the same network.. Machine 1, 192.168.1.4 mapped to 10.10.2.2, Machine 2, 192.168.1.5 mapped to 10.10.2.3. Clone the whole thing and you can keep the internal IPs and dynamic different external IPs.

Media - We have an existing ISO library on an NFS Datastore we use for all sorts of things... would like to be able to sync the existing ISOs instead of having to upload a copy to vCloud.

Snapshot support - Would like snapshot support via the UI and via API. I like the LabManager limit of 1 snapshot per VM. Want to be able to snapshot and revert at the vApp level.

Linked Clones - Linked clones are powerful, but some care needs to be taken if linked clones are enabled in vCloud.. Lab Manager linked clones can become very messy.. Perhaps vCloud can limit to depth of 1 link.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

We already support 1:1 NAT. Are you having some problems getting it to work?

0 Kudos
IMMatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes.. guess I am having issues... tried all sorts of combinations between internal network pools, external org networks and external networks... Definitely not straight forward.

I've got a "fake" isolated pool 192.168.0.0/24 that I'd like to be able to map dynamically to a pool of "real" IPs 10.20.30.101-200.

This is the concept.

vApp1:

RH1 - 192.168.0.101 - Ext IP: 10.20.30.101

RH2 - 192.168.0.102 - Ext IP: 10.20.30.102

vApp2 (clone of vApp1)

RH1 - 192.168.0.101 - Ext IP: 10.20.30.103

RH2 - 192.168.0.102 - Ext IP: 10.20.30.104

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

First, network pools has nothing to do with NAT mappings. Network pools refers to the portgroups that are used for the isolated networks.

If you have a vApp with vApp network, and you connect the vApp network to an org network, then by default, every VM NIC will have a 1-1 NAT mapping. Are you not seeing how to do this, or is it just not working in your setup?

0 Kudos
IMMatt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just got it working... I was in "Lab Manager" mode. I was trying to use pre-existing network in my vApp and connect it to physical... didn't work until I created a new vApp network when creating the new vApp.

Thanks for the help... I retract my "Networking" feature request above.

Cheers,

Matt

The information contained in this email message and its attachments is intended only for the private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above, unless the sender expressly agrees otherwise. Transmission of email over the Internet is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or have requested the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable privacy laws by means of email or in an attachment to email, you must select a more secure alternate means of transmittal that supports your obligations to protect such personal data. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this email in error, you must take no action based on the information in this email and you are hereby notified that any dissemination, misuse or copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email and delete the original message.

0 Kudos