Tim_Cook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issues with Windows 7 SP1 guest customization

I have two Windows 7 guests, both 32 and 64-bit, that are refusing to customize in vCloud Director, I simply get the following error:

Guest customization failed on this virtual machine.  Error is - could not find network adapters as specified by guest customization.  Log file is at c:\windows\temp\customize-guest.log.

This is driving me nuts and I know the fix is probably simple.

Tim

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

I had this and drove me nuts.  (And causing me massive issues due to ESX 4.1 -> ESX 5.0 conversion)

Check if your VM's are setup to use a network adapter type of "Flexible" if so you need to change it to E1000 or VMXNET3 (if you are using ESXi 5.0) - I can not find any documentation why, and VCD 1.5 allows you to setup Flexible, but I get this same error if I do not make that change.

To make the change:

Open VM settings in VCD

Remove the network adapter (if flexible)

Click Apply (AND EXIT SCREEN)  - Not sure why but VCenter and VCD get our of sync if you do not do this step between in the add process.

Open VM settings in VCD

Add the network adapter - and set to E1000 or VMXNET3 based on needs

Click Apply

Please let me know if that fixes issue - if so gives me some more details in trying to figure out what is up.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Tim_Cook
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks cfor…..I want to say I tried most of these steps, but I am intrigued by the comment you made about clicking apply AND exiting the screen, perhaps that is the “magic” step.

I did find a work around, but I used a very different technique…..basically I cloned the vApp Template back to regular VM in vCenter, then removed it from vCenter inventory, then created a new custom VM which I pointed to my existing VMDK files…basically creating a new VMX file.  I imported this “new” VM back into vCD and it worked first time.

Very odd issue and VERY time consuming, I wasted nearly 2 days fixing this dumb issue.

Tim

0 Kudos