VMware Cloud Community
AlexVeber
Contributor
Contributor

Is 1:1 Outgoing NAT possible?

Hi,

I have an Internal Routed Org network connected to my External Network.

The VMs on the Internal Org Network enjoy internet connectivity using IP masquerade and I can configure NAT so I can access those internal machines from the outside on the ports that i need. so far so good.

Is it possible to configure a VM on the internal network to reach the internet from a specified ip address and not from the masquerade ip address?

for example, I have a mail server on the internal network and I want it to send mail from a specific address, because the mail server is the one who initiates the connection the normal Inbound NAT rules don't apply.

Another related topic, in the configure service for the internal network there is a firewall tab. i don't understand what that does, isn't it quit redundant to configure NAT and the firewall? you need to open the ports in both places and the firewall have no other use as far as I can see.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlexVeber
Contributor
Contributor

Ok,

I found that if I create a vApp Network I can do 1:1 NAT (IP Translation).

Why is this option not avaliable when i use an Organization Network?

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

1:1 NAT isn't supported at the routed organization network.

AlexVeber
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks morpheus.

Is there any technical reason for this or it's just not implemented in the 1.0 version of vCD?

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

It's not implemented. No technical reason why it can't be done.

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm guessing that Org Network can be potentially very large, if IP Translation NAT is supported, it could potentially overwhelm the vShield Edge device. However, you can manully enable this per VM/IP basis.

IP Translation NAT is supported per vApp basis, either Fence the vApp or NAT vApp network, and it's the default option, the other option is Port Forwarding.

William

0 Kudos
AlexVeber
Contributor
Contributor

What really will be the best solution is to be able to ip masquarade all of the internal network and only ip translate for specific vms.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

...and than real multi-tenancy can be provided ....btw about " you need to open the ports in both places and the firewall have no other use as far as I can see" - the reason is that it is not a single vshield-edge device that controls your flows between same-ORG networks, there are multiple vshiled-edge-VMs (Vappliances with 2 NIC int-ext) created with any routed ORG port-group created, and you need to configure all to be able to allow full communications end-to-end .

0 Kudos
AlexVeber
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it's now supported in vCloud director 1.0.1.

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

no , not working , vshield edge still not a router, so single IP only and always NAT

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

manythanks, are you using Cloud 1.0 or 1.0.1?

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

do you mean that in 1.0.1 you have routing capabilities ? route to outside with no NAT ? route between internal networks ? doing static routes at least ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

See https://www.vmware.com/support/vcd/doc/rel_notes_vcloud_director_101.html, "IP Translation for Organization Networks".

0 Kudos
manythanks
Contributor
Contributor

so yes , still NAT-only (you must NAT if you want to use a gateway in VCD) with no ROUTING capabilities , also not in latest 1.5

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Wrong

theman wrote:

so yes , still NAT-only (you must NAT if you want to use a gateway in VCD) with no ROUTING capabilities , also not in latest 1.5

0 Kudos