VMware Cloud Community
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Invalid Computer Name?

Hi all,

I have just done an in-place upgrade to 1.5 which looked to go fine.

I have a problem now where whenever I try deploying a templated VM from a catalog, I get "Invalid computer name:  Computer name can only contain alphanumeric characters, hyphens and underscores, and must not contain only digits."

It doesn't seem to make any difference how I rename the VM, from both the "name" ior "host name" perspective.

There are definitely no iffy characters in the name.

Creating a new blank VM and naming it doesn't throw an error...

Anyone else seen this?

TIA

Alex

0 Kudos
6 Replies
boschb1
Contributor
Contributor

I too was just informed by a user about this same problem....

Both are declared invalid:

QACC-CEPM-004

QACC-CEPM-004

This could be trouble if it's a bug.

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, big trouble possibly. I haven't found anything that works yet. I'm going to try and re-import my templates to see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
boschb1
Contributor
Contributor

OK found the issue and the fix....

1.) Go back and change the original VM your trying to copy from hostname to not include underscores (or whatever)

2.) then copy using hyphens....

should work.

I also experienced a side issue where someone had a VM's hostname (not vm name btw) set to the same as my vapp name and as such i could change anything (including this copy operation) in the VAPP. 

It's really lame, but it appears that vmware decided to add in REVERSE checking everything without actually telling you this is on the old object and not the attempted new object.

Good luck.

Cheers

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting... I will try that, thanks.

For reference, I have just imported a new template from vSphere. This template has underscores in it's name and it deploys without error.

Will report back after I've tried your suggestion!

0 Kudos
gaadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, so I think you hit the nail on the head.

My template names had spaces in them. I took them out and replaced them with underscores and now it's happy.

Thanks for the pointer!

Alex

0 Kudos
ben_c1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2007019 for information about resolving the issue.

0 Kudos