VMware Cloud Community
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Influence vApp Placement Engine

Is it possible to influence the vApp Placement Engine in vCloud? Scenario: we're adding a cluster of Mac Pros to enable the virtualization of Mac OS inside of vCloud. However, we would prefer that vCloud reserves the Mac Pros for only running Mac OS. Assuming we would never have a vApp with mixed OSs, this isn't an issue, but sadly we will.

Unfortunately, we may have vApps that can contain a mix of Windows, Linux, and Mac OS, so using vDC's doesn't seem to be the answer. So that leaves me with the question: is there a way I can influence the vApp Placement engine to split a vApp's machines onto multiple resource pools?

I'm not overly familiar with using Blocking tasks, so my assumption is that if it's possible, thats where the solution lies.

Thanks for any advice (or ways around the issue)!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Cronistar
Contributor
Contributor

Something I just considered, albeit a crappy idea: create a script that scans our inventory of vCloud VMs on occasion. When it detects a VM with the OS labeled as MacOS, move the VM to the identical vCloud resource pool on the Mac cluster. Any thoughts on that?

0 Kudos