VMware Cloud Community
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Importance of Active Directory ?

I am just wondering if someone could tell me whether AD is a requirement / must have / no no etc. We are in a discussion here and while I can see the advantages of AD for the vCenter, I cannot see any hints anywhere that this is a "must" .. Could someone maybe point me to pros and cons of implementing an AD model for vCenter when vCloud Director is being implemented ?

Are there any gotchas when using SQL (also being in AD) as database ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

AD or LDAP with vCD is not a requirement.  You can create all local accounts in vCloud Director.  The roles in vCD are independent of those in vCenter although the same AD acocunt(s) could reside in different roles in each.  IMHO when VCD is in play we should restrict the access through vCenter only to folks that need to do host based functions like updates, adding datastore, etc.  There should be almost no Virtual Machine functions allowed through vCenter as those are handled through vCD.  Then utilize the roles in vCD to control those same users for org level functions.

Personally using AD just allows for the users to reside in one place as opposed to dealing with local accounts in multiple places.  That way disabling an AD user locks them out of all systems for security purposes.  Doing local accounts is very cumbersome if you ask me.

0 Kudos