Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

TIP :BIG step that gets missed by most people -

If your Windows based vm's used a Flexible adapter type they will fail once you upgrade ESX to 5.  This can cause some issues woith your running vapp's and template content.

Just something to look at so you do not get in a odd stop and wonder why.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dbrownda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not know about the flexible NICs issue. Thanks!

I have a couple questions too.

Do I have to upgrade all VMtools before I set the hardware level to 8? I have some customers that only use the requried drivers and not VMtools. Will this affect them?

Will it be a problem running vcloud 1.5, vCenter 5, but esxi 4.1 hosts for a month or so?

Has anyone run into a resource pool issue that is stated in the upgrade document on page 77 ?

Lastly, any idea if I should increase the database connections for vCenter when running vCloud?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
dbrownda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cfor.

It says here that the flexible nic is supported under ESXi 5.0. Do you have any other information on this?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I was informed my VMware support (after they did not work) - that Flexible adapters are NOT supported in ESXi 5.0 for Windows systems.  They are only supported for Linux based systems.

I was referred to the capability matrix, that for 5.0 does not show they are supported.

I wish I had more details as to why as it has causes us major issues - but all support could say is, not supported.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
dbrownda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Maybe it depends on the OS version? The compatibility guide says Server 2000 supports flexible with ESXi 5.0 but nothing beyond 2000.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16

0 Kudos