VMware Cloud Community
cyber_hero
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to resize virtual disk on vCloud?

How can I resize a virtual disk of a VM, the vCloud?

I saw that even if i active the guest customization i you can not change the size of the disks, even vm is power off.

How can I do?

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it via REST API. http://geekafterfive.com/2011/11/01/vcloud-apigui-throwdown/

Jake Robinson VCP, vExpert - geekafterfive.com - Twitter: @jakerobinson

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently, you cannot increase/decrease the size of a Disk (VMDK) of a VM deployed by vCloud through the Web GUI.  It wouldn't be part of guest customization, as that's about the personality of the OS (IP, Name, ETC).  If anywhere, it would be in the hardware description of the VM.

I think it can be done via the REST API.  However, this is just a VMDK increase ... as usual, this would not include a partition change from the guest OS perspective.

I'm double-checking the API part now.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do it via REST API. http://geekafterfive.com/2011/11/01/vcloud-apigui-throwdown/

Jake Robinson VCP, vExpert - geekafterfive.com - Twitter: @jakerobinson
0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Has any one worked with this while using linked clones (fast provisioning) -- I ask as we had been told before you could not chnage the disk size of a linked clone disk as it would cause issues with items clones from it.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can't change the child disk size.  you would need to consolidate and then resize.

For a disk chain to be maintained, all nodes must be of the same composition (cylinders, etc).

I'm not sure how the API reacts to a linked clone VMDK when you attempt to get then set a new size.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ok, that was my understaning, I might give it a try if time allows to see what the API does.  I would hope it returns an error letting you know rather than trashing content.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos