VMware Cloud Community
needingsleep3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to VPN from my home PC to my vCloud director network?

Greetings.

I'd like to VPN from my desktop at home to my vCloud network. I've a vDC on vCloud Director 1.5 (that's what my provider offers, I know it's outdated), and it's connected to the internet with an external, static IP - 203.59*.x.x. The vDC has 2 VMs.

- I did some reading and found where to configure site-to-site VPN on the network properties. After clicking 'enable site-to-site VPN', what do I do next? If I go to add > remote network, I'm supposed to fill in my "peer IP" - is that the randomly assigned IP address my ADSL modem gets from the internet service provider? This feels pointless, as it changes every time I reconnect. What's my 'peer gateway'? Is it my home router, 10.1.1.1?

- Also, how does one configure the VPN dialer on the desktop itself? When I attempted it, it prompted me to add a username and a password, but there was no such requirement when I enabled VPN on vCloud Director.

The documentation I found online on this matter either refers to vCloud Director 5.1, which is not what I'm using, or tricky for me to comprehend. A step by step guide would be nice. Long story short, I've no idea what I'm doing and could use some help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Site to Site is like Bridging two networks via VPN.  This config page you are looking at is about saying connect this vShield edge gateway to another VPN device at a remote location.  the ???? is the IP setup at the remote location.

I don't think that it's like a PPTP or OpenVPN connection like you'd get on DD-WRT or something like that.  It's only site to site to join sites, not Client Server (it's the server, you're the client).  though it may be possible, I haven't seen it done.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
needingsleep3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's a screenshot of the config page I've been struggling with: http://i.imgur.com/F2gdYtl.png

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Site to Site is like Bridging two networks via VPN.  This config page you are looking at is about saying connect this vShield edge gateway to another VPN device at a remote location.  the ???? is the IP setup at the remote location.

I don't think that it's like a PPTP or OpenVPN connection like you'd get on DD-WRT or something like that.  It's only site to site to join sites, not Client Server (it's the server, you're the client).  though it may be possible, I haven't seen it done.

0 Kudos