VMware Cloud Community
Peterc222
Contributor
Contributor

How dose a external organisation administrator connect to their Org within vCloud Director?

Hello,

I've been gathering information for a the requirements of vCloud Director, I have been informed as an vCloud administrator we would create organisation for each customer..

I would like to allow customer's administrator the ability to access their own (organisation) cloud from their office. I've seen that you could use vCloud connector but this is something which we are looking to implement in the future. I have come across of the use of vCloud Directors Cells. There is a limit of the connection to the DB which is 75 and they sit behind a LB.

I can't seem to get my heard round that in the process of creating an organisation, an public IP address is given from the pool to the organisation from there you are able to create a user.

From the completion of the organisation, how do I give control to  the administrator to connect to their organisation and start creating VMs?

Which IP address do they connect to, the one given from the pool when the org is created?

Do you need to have a separate network? I'm looking for some sort of self service portal where the users can connect, is this built within vCloud, can't seem to find this documentation?

Many thanks.

Peter

0 Kudos
2 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

Once a vCloud instance is setup, you will have the ability to add "Organizations" - these objects have users accounts, virtual datacenters (where you setup what storage/compute/network they have access to).  Once these objects are configured you would give a URL to the new admins.

normally:   https://yourcloud.yourcompany.com/cloud/org/TheExternalCompany

From that URL with the user-account created they would be able to connect and do the required functions.

For the VM's and what IPs they will get - when you setup the "OrgVDC Network" (one of the resource constructs inside the Virtual DataCenter) you will be able to set IP address pools ect.

Hope this gets you started - really with vCloud you have to get an instance up and start playing with it some to get a good handle on the concepts.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Peterc222
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

When the organisation is created the IPs are assigned from the External Pool of public route-able IPs. Are the same IPs used for the new (customer) Admins to connect and configure their organisation?

Or do they come in via a different IPswhich is assigned to the load balancer which connects to the vCloud Cells?

I'm trying to understand what networks are required for vCloud Director and the Admin console, is there any good documentation on this which describes this in details. I've already looked at example and architecture documents non of which explain how the network should be connected?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos