VMware Cloud Community
velvetsky
Contributor
Contributor

Guest customization failed for Windows machines

Hello,

I'm not sure if I should ask this question here, so please redirect me to the right place if needed.

Sometimes guest customization fails for machines with Windows 2008 R2 x64.

The logs doesn't help me too much to infer the cause, but maybe someone can infer more than me:

02/29/2012 11:09:03      Started
02/29/2012 11:09:03      System Locale=en-US User Locale=en-US
02/29/2012 11:09:03      ProductKey=...
02/29/2012 11:09:03      VMware tools installation path=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Executing command="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe" --cmd "info-set guestinfo.gc.status Started"
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Command execution succeeded, command output:
02/29/2012 11:09:03      ExtractParametersFromOVFEnv invoked
02/29/2012 11:09:03      VMware tools installation path=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\
02/29/2012 11:09:03      ExtractParametersFromOVFEnv exiting  Unsucessfully
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Failed to read config from OVF environment!
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Error initializing the guest customization configuration Log file is at 'C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log'
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Executing command="C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe" --cmd "info-set guestinfo.gc.status Error initializing the guest customization configuration Log file is at 'C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log'"
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Command execution succeeded, command output:
02/29/2012 11:09:03      Error initializing guest operating system customizer

Any hints why it fails, or how to further debug the problem?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CSIEnvironments
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is that the guest log file (the machine you trying to customize)? If not please post the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log on the VM.

Also are there errors in the Event Viewer?    

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

can you check the VM in vCenter to see if it actually has OVF properties?  it's in Edit Settings somewhere, can't remember where right now.

Make sure VMware tools is up to date on that VM, and that's about it.

Sysprep is built into that version of windows, so we generate data based off of the OVF/OVA properties and then go off of that.

Best Regards,

Jon Hemming

0 Kudos
velvetsky
Contributor
Contributor

Jon Hemming wrote:

can you check the VM in vCenter to see if it actually has OVF properties? 

I can see the OVF properties in the VM and there seems to nothing wrong with them.

Jon Hemming wrote:

Make sure VMware tools is up to date on that VM, and that's about it.

What I forgot to mention is that this doesn't happen all the time. Actually it is a recent problem because until now I successfully instantiate and customize that template.

Is that the guest log file (the machine you trying to customize)? If not please post the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log on the VM.

Also are there errors in the Event Viewer?

It is the guest log file ( C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log ).  In the Event viewer I could spot only two errors but I couldn't relate them to the failed customization:

Event ID 4404: MS DTC Tracing infrastructure : the initialization of the tracing infrastructure failed.

Event ID 15016: Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

Any other hints?

Thanks for your help so far.

0 Kudos
aylai
Contributor
Contributor

velvetsky, Did you figure this out?

0 Kudos
velvetsky
Contributor
Contributor

aylai, I managed to solved it but unfortunately I don't remember how... It might have been something related to the extra parameters that I added in the ovf though the api.

0 Kudos