VMware Cloud Community
curtiskoelling
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Customization - HTTP NFC Error

When I turn on Guest Customization for any virtual machine using vCloud Director, I get the following error.

Internal Server Error

- Unable to start vApp "pegusus".

- Unable to start virtual machines in resource pool "2107582258-WDCO VDC".

- HTTP NFC Error. Cannot deploy package from /opt/vmware/cloud-director/guestcustomization/windows_deployment_package_sidgen.cab to 0119655780-pegusus/windows_deployment_package_sidgen.cab.Broken pipe

I have been trying figure out what is wrong. I have no problem doing guest cusomization from vSphere in the same vCenter.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did you copy the Windows sysprep files to the vCD host, run the createSysprepPackage.sh script, and restart the cell as outlined on pages 27-28 of the installation guide?

0 Kudos
curtiskoelling
Contributor
Contributor

If I understood the documentation the sysprep files were only necessary for windows server 2003 and windows xp. The vm I was referring to above is a 2008 server. I checked on the cloud director for the file "windows_deployment_package_sidgen.cab" it was trying to transfer and it does exist.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

OK. I recommend opening an SR and attaching the tarball produced by the vmware-vcd-support script.

0 Kudos
curtiskoelling
Contributor
Contributor

I dont think I have any support entitlemnts for vCloud director. We have an enterprise license for vCenter but we are only running vCloud Director as a trail.

0 Kudos
regisss
Contributor
Contributor

Resurrecting an old post...

I was running into the exact same issue here. Only one of my 2 vSphere was showing the behavior.

I managed to fix it by unpreparing my host and preparing it again from the vCloud Administration interface.

Hope this helps anyone googling for the same error message like I did.

0 Kudos
calvinrobinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yup.  Try vMotioning the suspect VM to another host and see if the VM can power on.  I've seen this do the trick although it is not a fix.  Regisss's suggestion is probably right in that you should unprepare and re-prepare the troubled host.

VCP4, VCP5, Cloud Infrastructure Consultant
0 Kudos
EladMamram
Contributor
Contributor

We've also experienced this problem. But unfortunately repreparing the esx servers didnt help.

We tried a couple of things and it didnt worked also.

Anyone has anothet idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
cvrich
Contributor
Contributor

This error can be deceiving... I had the same error in our vCD lab and it ended up being the fact that time was not in sync on all involved hosts, db servers, cells, and vcenter... This is not the guestcustomization folder permissions error that looks very similar. Broken pipe is the key.  All of these systems have to have time synced within 2 seconds of each other or you may get this error. That came from a VMware technical support rep. He also mentioned that storage profiles can be at play in this error but I have not found any evidence of that... Make sure your time is in sync... Hope it helps...

0 Kudos