VMware Cloud Community
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fresh install of vCloud Director 1.5 fails to set up ESXi 5.1.0 hosts

Hello dear community .

I have the following error message when  trying to create a 'Provider-VDC' on my freshly installed vCloud director appliance :

"Could not retrieve state for sequence: seq_os".

This is a lab/evaluation/proof of concept environment :

- 3 Esxi host 5.1.0 build 799733 running under workstation

- Vcloud director running on Centos 6.4 64 bits . The version of vcloud director is 1.5.0.464915

- Microssoft sql database 2008 r2 .

-vcenter virtual appliance 5.1.0

I already fin this thread here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/327222?start=0 but not sure if the fix described in this thread will do the trick in my case . I am also a complete newby in SQL database and I am having trouble to add a new entry to the [os_id] table , which is more or less the workaround described in the thread .

Any help will be appreciated ,

Thanks

Da

0 Kudos
17 Replies
TimLawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am out of the office this week. If you need assistance in my absense please contact:

Charles.llewellyn@eduserv.org.uk

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

vCloud Director 1.5 doesn't support ESXi 5.1 hosts.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

you should upgrade for 2 reasons:

1. it'll fix the SEQ_OS error (you need to go to at least 1.5.1 or higher)

2. go to at least 5.1.x to support vCenter 5.1/ESXi 5.1

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello,

I am using the virtual appliance of vCloud director , freshly downloaded from the vmware website "vCloud-Director-VA-T2-5.1.2.0-1069180_OVF10" .

So I think I am indeed using vcloud director version 5.1.2 but still I am getting this issue ....

Any idea ?

thanks

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

SEQ_OS issues should happen with a MS SQL db for 1.5.0, and was fixed in 1.5.1 and newer.

Appliance for 5.1.2 shouldn't have this problem, since it's on the newer code base.

Just make sure to note, the appliance is not for production purposes and has some limitations.

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply but what the way forward in order to have this setup and running then ?

Downgrade my version of ESXi host ?

Anything else ?

thanks

Da

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Any update on this issue please ?

On my side I tried to build another cluster rom scratch today using esxi 4.0.0 based host but I am nnow not able to vMotion my existing VMs as the version of virtual machine is not compatible with the host version ......

I will really appreciate to have a way to get this sorted out ...

rgds

Da

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is someone able to help me out here ? I tried to download vcloud director 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 to see if that would resolve the issue but I cant.....

Looking forward for a reply !

thanks

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

You can't use vCloud Director 1.5.1 or 1.5.2 with ESXi 5.1.  It's just not meant to work that way.

You also cannot use ESX 4.0 or 4.1 with vCloud Director 5.1.x ... that's not going to work either.

vCloud Director 1.5.x + vSphere 4.1 or vSphere 5.0

OR

vCloud Director 5.1.x + vSphere 5.0 or vSphere 5.1

the compatibility guidelines are in the Manuals + on the web interop matrix: www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php

If this is a new installation .... start from scratch with a compatible set of software/hardware.

If this is an existing 1.5.x installation, you need to upgrade to support 5.1 esx hosts.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Also, if you are in immediate need, a Community Forum doesn't gaurantee a response.

If you have a support contract, we can try to help you out more directly via a Support Request (call our support line if you do).

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello John ,

Thanks for your reply . I am new to the VMware world , the versioning is a bit confusing to me .....

At the moment I used :

- ESXI 5.1 Hosts

- Vcenter 5.1.0

- The VCLOUD director OVA appliance template Cloud-Director-VA-T2-5.1.2.0-1069180_OVF10 ------> is this vcloud director 1.5.2 or 5.1.2 ??

- Microssoft SQL database 2008 r2 .

I think this set up is the one you are mentioning vCloud Director 5.1.x + vSphere 5.0 or vSphere 5 or am I missing somehting here ?

thanks for your support , this is really appreciated

rgds

da

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

- The VCLOUD director OVA appliance template Cloud-Director-VA-T2-5.1.2.0-1069180_OVF10 ------> is this vcloud director 1.5.2 or 5.1.2 ??

This download is vCloud Director 5.1.2 as an Appliance.  Note: this appliance may work, but is ONLY suppose to be used for a proof of concept or trial period.  There is no way to transition from this to a full installation of vCloud Director with an external database.

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi again

this is apparently the ONLY download available for trial purpose .......or is there somewhere on the website where It is possible to download the "non OVA" template for evaluation purpose ?

If yes can you please give me the link where the file is located ?

thanks

Da

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

this is apparently the ONLY download available for trial purpose .......or is there somewhere on the website where It is possible to download the "non OVA" template for evaluation purpose ?

VMware cannot provide this becuase we do not have the rights to redistributed an entire OS (Red Hat).  You need a Red Hat license for a "full" install. 

The full install is on the vCloud download page as a .bin file, which can be installed onto Red Hat Linux.

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

John,

this is the message I am getting when trying to download the bin file :

"You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product.
Check with your MyVMware Super User, procurement contact or administrator.

If you recently purchased this product through VMware Store or through a third-party, try downloading later."

If I click on "download free trial" I am going back to the download of the OVA template ....

I already have the RHEL server ready .....

thanks

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

if you only have a trial license of vCloud Director, then you must use the OVA (appliance) version.

if your company owns a license for it, you'll probably have to talk to your license administrator.

0 Kudos
kienast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So I am basically stuck .

Without a proper licence , I can not connect the vcloud director to an external database , even for evaluation purpose as I am getting the error mention a the beginning of this thread ...

weird .

Thanks for the quick reply and your great support .

Da

0 Kudos