VMware Cloud Community
RWhitelocks
Contributor
Contributor

FYI - vCloud Director Upgrade - vShield Edge Issue

I upgraded from vCloud Director 1.5 to vCloud Director 5.1 at the weekend and ran into all sorts of problems, not the best upgrade I have completed of a VMware product. One of the many issues I faced stopped me being able to power on some vApps, intermittently.

I was getting the following error when powering on vApps in vCloud Director:

Unable to deploy network "vApp Network(urn:uuid:ca480121-53c8-46e9-86e9-bb0a52cc4a79)".

com.vmware.vcloud.fabric.nsm.error.VsmException: VSM response error (10105): Failed to publish configuration on vShield Edge. OVF Manager internal error. For more details, refer to the rootCauseString or the VC logs (The virtual machine is not supported on the target datastore.)

When checking the vShield Manager I got the error:

Failed

OVF Manager internal error. For more details, refer to the rootCauseString or the VC logsRoot Cause: OVF Manager internal error. For more details, refer to the rootCauseString for the VC logs

Originally I thought it was because I had to deploy a new vCloud Network and Security appliance as my original vShiled Manager only had a 8GB hard drive and so did not have enough free space to download the upgrade files even with the maintenance fix.

However, after further investigation I noticed that after the upgrade from vCloud Director 1.5 to vCloud director 5.1 under the System > Manage & Monitor > vSphere Resources > Datastores & Datastore Clusters tab the local datastores of my hosts were enabled, which they were not prior to the upgrade.

Because the local datastores were enabled vCloud Director was trying to deploy the vShield Edges to them and then failing to do so as they were not accessible by all hosts.

After disabling the local datastores all edge gateways were able to be deployed and the vApps powered on.

As I could not find any information out there on the web about this I thought I create this post to let people know.

Rob.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Please file an SR and we'll investigate

0 Kudos
RWhitelocks
Contributor
Contributor

Morpheus,

What would you like a service request regarding?

The issue about the datastores or the new vShiled Manager deployment?

0 Kudos
shepherdz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hey Rob,

Thanks for reporting this!

I'm not sure which was requesting, but I know I'd be interested in understanding more about the datastore issue (and, assuming it's not a hassle for you, filing an SR about it is probably the the easiset way to make that happen).

Regards,

Zach

Zach Shepherd, Member of Technical Staff, VMware vCloud Director Engineering
0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

The datastores

RWhitelocks wrote:

Morpheus,

What would you like a service request regarding?

The issue about the datastores or the new vShiled Manager deployment?

0 Kudos
RWhitelocks
Contributor
Contributor

After raising a support case with VMware it turns out the issues is that we did not have a storage profile defined.

vCloud Director 5.1 uses storage profiles and as we did not have one it created a new All profile, as a result it was using local and shared storage.

This also has the side effect of vCloud emailing alerts about Datastores not visable to vCloud director.

So if anyone else has these issues create / update your storage profiles.

Rob.

0 Kudos