VMware Cloud Community
marknigh
Contributor
Contributor

External Networks in vCloud Director

Is there a way to hide external networks from organizations or assign external networks to one Provider vDC and not another?

We would like to create one (1) external network to each Tenant with each tenant only "seeing" one (1) external network pick from when creating organization external networks-direct or orgranization external network-NAT routed.

Thank you for your input!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Organizations can not see external networks, they can only see organization networks. Only a system administrator can create an organization network.

marknigh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

I was asking in terms of when an organization connects to external network and not with respect to the abillity of creating a network. So I would like to eliminate the possibility of customer b to connect to an external network a. In my case, an External network a is a vlan that connects to a VRF (Virtual Routing Network) router (layer 3) that connects to a private MPLS network for customer A. I understand it that when an organization administrator creates a organization external network-direct a list of external network appears to choose what external network to use. I would like to only have specific external networks that an organization can choose.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
marknigh
Contributor
Contributor

My apologies, I have read your response again and you answer my question. Good news.

If I understand your response correctly, all networks: external, org direct, org nat-routed and internal must be create by the system administrator. It is the organization admin that create vApps that are assigned to the networks that the System Administrator creates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Yes all external networks and all organization networks are created by the system admin. All other roles except console-only and vApp user can create vApps. vApps can either use vApp networks or use the organization networks that the system admin created.

My apologies, I have read your response again and you answer my question. Good news.

If I understand your response correctly, all networks: external, org direct, org nat-routed and internal must be create by the system administrator. It is the organization admin that create vApps that are assigned to the networks that the System Administrator creates?

Thanks.

0 Kudos