VMware Cloud Community
ccinatl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exporting a catalog using OVFTOOL - syntax issue

trying to export a catalog from vCD 5.1 to local disk using ovftool but something is wrong with my syntax.

Here is what i'm using:

ovftool "vcloud://login:pass@192.168.50.50?org=Sales&vDC='Sales Org vDC'&Catalog=Education&vApp="20131031 vApp1" g:\exports\vApp1"

the error i get is:

Error: Unknown locator query key: Catalog

any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
3 Replies
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

For exporting a template from the catalog the following should work:

ovftool --X:logToConsole  "vcloud://guest:guest1@myIP/?org=vcenter-1-org&catalog=cat1&vappTemplate=t" t/t.ovf

I believe it's also possible to export a vApp:

ovftool --X:logToConsole  "vcloud://guest:guest1@10.27.68.47/?org=vcenter-1-org&catalog=cat1&vapp=a" a/a.ovf

For more details you can check the User Guide at OVF Tool Documentation

Best Regards,

Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
0 Kudos
tbarn
Contributor
Contributor

Thread necromancy!

I just ran into the same "Unknown locator query key" error trying to upload an OVF into a vCloud Director catalog.  The problem is the special characters in the name, in my case the VM's name contained a '&', in the dialog box that auto populates the vApp name I just removed it and the upload proceeded just fine.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

yeah, it happens that the API call uses the & symbol as a delineation marker and it incorrectly breaks on the one from the catalog name and fails to find it.  I think it cannot be in the name of the catalog and or the name of the VM and or name of vApp at the time of upload.

0 Kudos