VMware Cloud Community
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Error while creating a VDC

Hello there,

I am getting an error while creating a VDC in an organization. The task result on the vSphere client looks like it attempts to create a folder which is already existing. I have one organization which has one VDC - it works fine. The problem is when I try to create the second organization and VDC. Any ideas/pointers? Attached are the screenshots.

Thanks

~jx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Exception trace in vcloud-container-info.log attached. Hope that'd help

0 Kudos
rjanakangnax
Contributor
Contributor

Can you try to name the vDC with a shortername with no spaces and without any special characters?

0 Kudos
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately we cannot change it right now as we will have to take a systems down. Can you confirm whether this is a known issue ? I'll shocked if so.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The folder "vCloud @ UD RD Lab" is your vCloud Director's root folder in vCenter, which is basically the name you provided for the "System name" during the initial setup wizard (see Specificy System Settings in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcd_10_install.pdf). Once this folder is created, vCloud Director should never attempt to recreate it unless it is deleted.

It appears that vCD is unable to detect that the system name folder exists in vCenter. This could happen if vCD is out of sync with vCenter or if you recently changed permissions on the user used to connect vCD to vCenter such that the user no longer has permission to view the system name folder in vCenter. You could try reconnecting to vCenter in vCD or ensure that the user has adequate permissions (must have Administrator role, see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026866).

If that doesn't solve your problem, recommend contacting VMware Support.

0 Kudos
jx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the comment.

I have not changed the admin permissions neither have removed the root folder. I tried re-connecting the VC and it it is connecting fine. However I see a an error "vShield Manager unreachable" on the vCloud UI as shown in the screenshot. but please note that this happend some time ago. If I look at the VCSD log files, I see this line.

vcloud-container-info.log.3:2011-02-11 01:06:03,478 | INFO     | VSMCLIENT HeartbeatTimer  | VSMHeartbeat                   | VSMCLIENT-1.0.5 invokeReachabilityCallback; Message : vShield Manager is now unreachable |

Which means the connectivity is not a problem.

In short, the problem persists. I'll open a SR.

Thanks

~j

0 Kudos