VMware Cloud Community
sampoh
Contributor
Contributor

Error when removing static IP pool from vcloud external network

Hello all

We are facing an issue when trying to remove one ip pool from external network in vCloud Director 5.1.

Let's say that the name of the external network is "Internet" and two ranges of public IP addresses

are assigned to that network are:

72.130.233.90 - 72..130.233.93

and

72.130.233.101 - 72.130.233.126

Now, when trying to remove the first one, I'm getting this kind of error message:

"Operation: Updated Network 'Internet' (9548300f-7830-4f03-2e1b-c0ab1d8334f2)"

"Details: The following IP addresses are already being used: /72.130.233.90."

and process fails.

It seems that something is still holding that public IP address but there should be none.

Has anybody faced same issue and do you know, where we can see what is actually holding

that IP? When selecting "show ip allocations" it's not shown in the list.

Whole vCloud director is recently upgraded from 1.5 to 5.1

br, Sampo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JimML1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having the same issue.  I have one IP address that is causing this issue.  I can shrink the pool down to just that IP and it works, but if I take it out I get the same error.

Where you able to come up with a resolution by chance?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Are there any edge gateways where the IP might have been suballocated or assigned?  this can happen as an Edge usually takes the first available IP from all ranges.

0 Kudos
JimML1
Contributor
Contributor

I checked that.  I actually removed the network in question from all vshield edges just to eliminate that possibility.  Nothing seems to be using the IP in question.  I'm wondering if there is something stale in the database.

0 Kudos
sampoh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

We did some cleanup for our organisations, removing all unnecessary networks, vapps, catalogs etc..

and cannot remember did that helped, but eventually we managed to get that working. And we also

rebooted the vshield edge. You should try that. So basically we are unsure which was the key to

solve that issue.

And after upgrading vshield manager, you have to manually upgrade all edge gateways from vshield manager

management web UI.

br, Sampo

0 Kudos
ITSnoesberger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I've just see this post from VMWare in the Release Notes:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vcd/doc/rel_notes_vcloud_director_512.html

Unused external IP addresses from sub-allocated IP pools of the gateway fail after upgrading FromvCloud Director 1.5.1 to vCloud Director 5.1.2>After you upgrade vCloud Director from version 1.5.1 to version 5.1.2,
attempting to remove unused external IP addresses from sub-allocated IP pools of a gateway fails saying that IPs are in use.

Workaround: If you are upgrading from vCloud Director 1.5.1, remove any unused external IP addresses fromOrganization Routed Networks before you upgrade vCloud Director.

0 Kudos
hiwin520
Contributor
Contributor

I met the same situation . I have removed all the Edge Gateway and VDC network. It still show error"Details: The following IP addresses are already being used: x.x.x.x".

Please kindly support us.

0 Kudos
sonofrei
Contributor
Contributor

Check this link . I've had the same problem and it was solved after i've deleted the IP from de Vcloud DB

http://www.null-byte.org/vmware/cannot-update-edge-gateway-the-following-ip-addresses-are-already-in...

0 Kudos