VMware Cloud Community
cpahl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error when connecting with Remote Console

We get the attached error when we click on a vApp in vCloud Director.  The lined out IP address is the console proxy ip address.  Any ideas what might be causing this error?  I was thinking it might be something with my SSL certificate, but I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1.  It is a Windows 7 View Client using IE 9

Refer the installation and configuration guide (https://www.vmware.com/support/vcd/doc/rel_notes_vcloud_director_10.html), IE 9 is not supported, and the only browsers supported on Windows 7 are Windows 8.* and Firefox 3.*.

2.  It takes about 1 minute and 45 Seconds, but the error shows up about 2 seconds after the Remote Console window pops up.

That is definitely the problem here. It shouldn't take 1 minute 45 seconds for the remote console window to pop up, in fact I'd say it should start within a few seconds (definitely under 10 seconds). Not sure if this is because of IE 9?

4.  See attached log for error messages received when trying to access the VM

The error message looks like it is trying to connect to my vCenter Server.  Do the users that are logged into vCloud Director need to be able to login to the vCenter Server?  I thought it would just use the user you setup when you connect to the vCenter Server.

The console proxy (a component of the vCloud Director cell) acts as the proxy for users logged into vCloud Director. It is the latter which connects to your vCenter Server, and that's what the logs are telling you.

Try this on a different OS/browser from the supported matrix. Also, if you can dig up why it takes over 10 seconds for the remote console to popup, you'd have found yourself a solution. If that doesn't work, contact VMware Support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should see this error if the user pauses long enough to view the certificate verification popup and/or install the certificate. If the certificate popup is dismissed quickly, you should not see this error. Also, if you installed correct certificates, the popup shouldn't appear in the first place.

0 Kudos
cpahl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We never see a popup when the Remote Console is starting.  I created a Self-Signed SSL Certificate using the instructions in the Cloud Director Installation and Configuration Guide.  When we access the HTTP site it warns us about the untrusted certificate and you have to click the link to continue and that works fine.  I have both certificates in the same keystore, I have attached a screen shot of the keystore.  When I create the keystore I used the FQDN for the proxy server, but the error message shows the IP address, not the FQDN.  Should I have used the IP address instead of the FQDN when I created the certificate?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, using the FQDN is correct.

1. What is the client OS on which you invoke the remote console?

2. Approximately how many seconds does the error appear after you click the thumbnail to start the remote console?

3. Is there a load balancer sitting in between the vCloud cell and the client?

4. Do you see any obvious errors during this period in the vCloud debug logs? http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026815

0 Kudos
cpahl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2.  It takes about 1 minute and 45 Seconds, but the error shows up about 2 seconds after the Remote Console window pops up.

3.  There is no load balancer

The error message looks like it is trying to connect to my vCenter Server.  Do the users that are logged into vCloud Director need to be able to login to the vCenter Server?  I thought it would just use the user you setup when you connect to the vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Refer the installation and configuration guide (https://www.vmware.com/support/vcd/doc/rel_notes_vcloud_director_10.html), IE 9 is not supported, and the only browsers supported on Windows 7 are Windows 8.* and Firefox 3.*.

That is definitely the problem here. It shouldn't take 1 minute 45 seconds for the remote console window to pop up, in fact I'd say it should start within a few seconds (definitely under 10 seconds). Not sure if this is because of IE 9?

The console proxy (a component of the vCloud Director cell) acts as the proxy for users logged into vCloud Director. It is the latter which connects to your vCenter Server, and that's what the logs are telling you.

Try this on a different OS/browser from the supported matrix. Also, if you can dig up why it takes over 10 seconds for the remote console to popup, you'd have found yourself a solution. If that doesn't work, contact VMware Support.

0 Kudos
cpahl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was it, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos