VMware Cloud Community
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 6 no VM Network Access in vCloud

Hello,

I'm a student in the Netherlands. I study IT and to learn about ESX, VDI, RDS etc. we use vCloud to provide us with a test environment to install such applications and hypervisors.

Because i have no homelab i'm using vCloud to learn about VDI. The process i took was install ESX in a vApp with Open-E DSS as iSCSI storage. The ESX installation completed like it should and from the Windows Server 2012 VM in the vApp i was trying to push vCenter as a VM on a ESX host. It installed like it should and i got an ip + port number to access the page. Unfortunately I couldn't access the vCenter page neither could I ping the VM. I can access my ESX through the vSphere application.

What have i tried:

- Install multiple NIC's on the VM. I used different Network Adapters like E1000 or VMXNET3 but that didnt work.

- Install a Windows 8 VM to see if it was a vCenter 6 problem in vCloud. Neither the W8 VM got network access.

I think it's a restriction in vCloud that the network administrator doesn't know about yet. This is the first year they have been using vCloud as a working environment for all the students.

Does any of you smart people have a suggestion on what's going wrong here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KevinFahey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I would check the portgroup that the ESXi vm is connected to.  Edit the settings of the portgroup and select security.  Make sure all 3 are set to accept. "Promiscuous Mode, MAC Address Changes, and Forged Transmits".  I know you only need 2 of the 3 but can't remember at the moment which 2 they are Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Already tried that.

Doesn't work. Did a reboot after the update on the ESX host but no luck Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im kinda lost on a fix and so is my teacher. Anyone who has an idea? Prosimious mode is also 'accept' on the ESX hosts in the datacenter at school

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nested ESXi on vCloud Air - VMware vCloud Air Blog - VMware Blogs

this might help you understand a little better.

0 Kudos
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh my god it worked! Now im curious on how this works with multiple VM and the same mac addresses. This might conflict right? Im now trying to get vCenter working.

0 Kudos