VMware Cloud Community
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

Does vCD 1.0 support multiple cells?

I've followed the vCloud Director 1.0 installation guide to set up a 2nd vCloud cell:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vcd_10_install.pdf

When I tried to access the second cell via web browser (https://<second cell ip>/cloud), I got this error:

HTTP ERROR: 404

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/cloud

Powered by jetty://

Furthermore, in web UI for the first cell, under "Cloud Resources" -> "Cloud Cells,"

only the first cell appears (and the second cell does not show up here).

I've checked two log files (also attached here):

a) $VCLOUD_HOME/logs/cell.log

b) $VCLOUD_HOME/logs/vcloud-container-debug.log

Note that in cell.log, there is a line which says,

Application initialization detailed status report: 9% complete

I've waited for a day, but it still says "9% complete."

Does vCD1.0 support multiple cell at all? What could be the issue here? Thanks!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it does support multiple cells we do it all the time.

1) Did you install the first cell as normal

2) Did you setup NFS for the /opt/vcloud-director/data/transfer folder on the first cell?

3) Did you install the second cell using the global.properties file as the document states?

4) Did you setup NFS for the /opt/vcloud-director/data/transfer folder on the second cell as well?

Really that is all that is needed and of course the SSL certs on the second cell.  If the first cell was running and you added NFS and it still started then the second cell will work as well.

thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your prompt response. Please see my answers inline below.

1) Did you install the first cell as normal

What do you mean by "normal"? I installed the 1st cell following instructions in the vCD1.0 installation guide.

And I have no problem accessing the 1st cell via web browser (https://<1st cell ip>/cloud).

2) Did you setup NFS for the /opt/vcloud-director/data/transfer folder on the first cell?

Yes. Here is output from my 1st cell:

# cat /etc/exports
/var/tmp <2nd cell ip>(rw)
/opt/vmware/cloud-director/data/transfer  <2nd cell ip>(rw) <1st cell ip>(rw)
# exportfs
/opt/vmware/cloud-director/data/transfer
                <2nd cell ip>
                <1st cell ip>

# service nfs status
rpc.mountd (pid 13521) is running...
nfsd (pid 13518 13517 13516 13515 13514 13513 13512 13511) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 13506) is running...

3) Did you install the second cell using the global.properties file as the document states?

Yes. The installation guide says "responses.properties" not "global.properties".

However, I tried the installation with both "responses.properties" and "global.properties."

4) Did you setup NFS for the /opt/vcloud-director/data/transfer folder on the second cell as well?

# cat /etc/exports
/opt/vmware/cloud-director/data/transfer  <2nd cell ip>(rw) <1st cell ip>(rw)
# exportfs
                <2nd cell ip>
                <1st cell ip>
# service nfs status
rpc.mountd (pid 7385) is running...
nfsd (pid 7382 7381 7380 7379 7378 7377 7376 7375) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 7353) is running...

(In fact, for vCD 1.5, multiple cells also work for us. It is vCD 1.0 where multiple cell does not seem to be working.) Thanks!!

0 Kudos
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

One more point: from the attached log (i.e., cell.log) above, it says,

Application initialization detailed status report: 9% complete  <---
    com.vmware.vcloud.backend-core                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui.configuration                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.consoleproxy                               Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vim-proxy                                  Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common-util                                Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.ui-vcloud-webapp                           Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.rest-api-handlers                          Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.common.core                                Subsystem Status: [COMPLETE]
    com.vmware.vcloud.vlsi-core                                  Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.jax-rs-servlet                             Subsystem Status: [WAITING]
    com.vmware.vcloud.imagetransfer-server                       Subsystem Status: [WAITING]

I waited for one day, but the log still says, "9% complete." Something seemed to be stuck. Any idea?

0 Kudos
baskam
Contributor
Contributor

I’m out of the office and on vacation the week of 10/16/2011, and will be back in the office Monday 10/24/2011.

If you require immediate assistance please contact support at lw-support@logicworks.net

Thanks,

Baska Walsh,

SR NOC Engineer

Logicworks

0 Kudos
thuang2
Contributor
Contributor

The issus has been resolved. Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please let us know what the issue was and provide any points for helpful answers.

0 Kudos