VMware Cloud Community
ITSnoesberger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Disable Datastore in vCloud Director

I would like to disable a datastore, that no new VM will be provisioned to the datastore but the existing machines will still run on this store.

In the VMWare Documentation I found the following for disabling Datastores in vCloud Director:

- When you disable a datastore, you cannot start vApps that are associated with the datastore or create vApps on the datastore.

I've disabled the datastore in our Test-Environment, no new vApp can be created on this store. But the existing vApps can be stopped and started without any issue. Is the Documentation wrong or how does it work in your environments.

Thanks for your answers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChrisPD
Contributor
Contributor

Reviving an older thread, but can anyone else confirm this?

I need to do the same due to an array migration. Im planning to disable the datastore to stop any more VMs being created on there but do not want to cut off access to anything already on there before i move it off. Documentation is a little vague.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

I just tested in our VCD 5.1/vCenter 5.1.0/ESXi 5.1.0 environment and I could still power on/off the vApp as many times as I wanted to if the datastore was disabled.

I have Fast Provisioning enabled.  I could clone the VM but VCD put it on a different datastore so you should be good.

Eric

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos
vmagician
Contributor
Contributor

I have been disabling/enabling datastore for same purpose as you and never seen any issues, doing the same to prevent datastore performance overload and IOPs balance across datastores.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

From my testing you can start/stop just fine - however you cannot edit a vapp that currently exists (ie, add a new VM to it)

What i wondered about - but cannot test right now is what happends with a VSE device is no datastore exists for it to be created on (they are all disabled) -- This might be why the doc says you cannot poweron.  (Would only be issues for vApps with routed vApp networks) - and when no other datastore was enabled for a pVDC.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JayhawkEric
Expert
Expert

All of my vApps have internal NAT'd networks so they all have VSE's and still worked.  The VSE's will get deployed to an enabled datastore, as long as one exists for the organization.

Eric

VCP5-DV twitter - @ericblee6 blog - http://vEric.me
0 Kudos