VMware Cloud Community
poltraf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Director and multicore

Hi all,

a client is asking us to deploy a Windows 2008. He needs 8 CPU (max supported by win2k8) but multicores, the only way to have a physical-like 8CPU-quad cores server .

I see that I can perform this action from vCenter, but nothing similar in vCloud Director (clients doesn't have access to vCenter).

Since is strongly not advisable to make changes in a Vcenter managed by vCD, is there any other solution to reach this goal?

Thank you very much!

Raf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the current versions of vCloud Director, you cannot control the cores per processor socket ratio.  At this time, I don't think there would be an alternative.

We are looking at this for future versions tho, to allow you to choose 8 vCPU @ 4core/2socket.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the current versions of vCloud Director, you cannot control the cores per processor socket ratio.  At this time, I don't think there would be an alternative.

We are looking at this for future versions tho, to allow you to choose 8 vCPU @ 4core/2socket.

0 Kudos
poltraf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. In the while I gave him a Win2K8 Datacenter vers, that supports up to 64 CPU...

Thanks a lot!

Raf

0 Kudos
--Norton--
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has this now been addressed in 5.5??

I did manage to achieve it in 5.1 by manually adjusting the VM within vSphere once created in VCD but it really doesnt like it and boot up is flaky.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, 5.5 allows for configured sockets and core count.

0 Kudos