VMware Cloud Community
b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did "fence-util" go away with vSphere 5/vCD 1.5.x?

Been troubleshooting an issue we've been having with trialing out Trend Micro's Deep Security product with some VMs in a vCD 1.5.1/vSphere 5.0 U1 environment where VCDNI is used, and I was hoping to look at some of the statistics/information in the fence-util utility that used to be placed on every ESXi host when they were prepared for vCloud Director.

Doesn't look like that utility is there anymore.  There is a "net-fence" utility, but it looks like that's only for truely "fenced" networks, not for obtaining statistics on vslad/vcdni networks.

Anyone know if the fence-util app just went away, or is it just named something else now?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
b0rbb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So, I don't know if anyone else cares, but I did end up finding out what one can use to get the same type of information the "fence-util" utility used to provide.

On the host, if one were to run...

esxcli vcloud fence getfenceinfo

You'll get all kinds of fun details regarding the different vDS switch ports and fence-IDs.

This was found (with some other awesome finds) in William Lam's "Cool Undocumented vCloud Director 1.5 Features" article at his blog.

So...thanks William!

0 Kudos