VMware Cloud Community
vittimac85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Deploying vCloud Director 10.2 Appliance fails with Hostname was not updated via dns reverse-lookup. Failing OS configuration phase.

I tried Deploying the vCloud 10.2.0.5190-17029810 Appliance and I just can't get it to get past the step where the hostname is added.

I filled in the correct information for Domain Search Path and Domain Name when deploying the OVA and yet for some reason, it keeps switching back to the name 'photon-machine'

I filled out Domain Search Path as subdomain.mydomain.com and Domain Name as mydomain.com

Is this a known issue with this version of vCloud Director?

------Firstboot Log--------

Re-enabling password strength checks...

Checking for all required OVF parameters, for OS Configuration Phase

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vcd-ova-netconfig.service → /etc/systemd/system/vcd-ova-netconfig.service.

Setting NTP to 10.11.0.1

Invoking vahardening script ...

Resizing database disk ...

Invoking generate-certificates script ...

2020-10-28 00:22:29 | Creating SSL directory...

2020-10-28 00:22:29 | Generating certificate and key for Postgres and Nginx...

2020-10-28 00:22:29 | System hostname is: photon-machine

2020-10-28 00:22:29 | System ip0 is: 10.11.11.51

Generating a RSA private key

...........................................................+++++

...................................................................................................................................+++++

unable to write 'random state'

writing new private key to '/opt/vmware/appliance/etc/ssl/vcd_ova.key'

-----

Signature ok

subject=/CN=photon-machine/O=VMware, Inc./OU=vCloud Director Appliance/C=US

Getting Private key

unable to write 'random state'

2020-10-28 00:22:30 | Newly generated postges and nginx keys were successfully created in the following directory: /opt/vmware/appliance/etc/ssl

2020-10-28 00:22:30 | Restarting Postgres and Nginx services...

2020-10-28 00:22:31 | Generating self-signed certificates and keystore for VCD http and console proxy endpoints...

2020-10-28 00:22:31 | Generated keystore will be created here: /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/certificate.ks

New keystore created and written to /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/certificates.ks

Additional script output logging available at: /opt/vmware/var/log/vcd/generate-certificates.log

Invoking configure-postgresql script ...

Invoking postgresauth script ...

Generating public/private rsa key pair.

Your identification has been saved in /var/vmware/vpostgres/current/.ssh/id_rsa.

Your public key has been saved in /var/vmware/vpostgres/current/.ssh/id_rsa.pub.

The key fingerprint is:

SHA256:gNczb3yh3hzCJ4Jv/MIJ/jORZtxpuK8LL733f4jRztg

The key's randomart image is:

+---[RSA 4096]----+

|                 |

|     . .         |

|    . o +   .    |

|     . o * . .   |

|      ..S+O.+.   |

|      .oB++B...  |

|     ..*+=. oB . |

|      o+O.. o E .|

|       o*Xo..... |

+----[SHA256]-----+

Updating /etc/hosts file ...

System hostname is: photon-machine

[ERROR] Hostname was not updated via dns reverse-lookup. Failing OS configuration phase.

[ERROR] Fix and verify DNS server info and other related networking settings, and redeploy this appliance again.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marsupillami
Contributor
Contributor

I also faced the same problem. You must ensure that you have A Records and PTRs for both eth0 and eth1 addresses. On first boot, the appliance will try to resolve the PTR for eth0 address, and if it doesn't find a record it fails the deployment.

Ather_Beg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos