VMware Cloud Community
MushroomHunter
Contributor
Contributor

Dedicated vs. shared resources

We are in the final stages of negotiating with a VMware Powered hosting provider and I could use help with a couple things real soon as this issue just popped up. I was assuming we had resources dedicated to us that would not be shared, and not I'm not so sure.

1. what is the proper terminology to ask if we are getting X amount of CPU cores and RAM in reserved/dedicated mode vs. shared mode.

2. Is there any way I can tell if my CPU and RAM is being shared with other users (time sliced) or completely reserved/dedicated to our VMs?

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

1) Ask how many vCPUs you have allocated, and how many MHz have been reserved (if any).  For memory its the same term.

2) Not without the vCenter client, which you wont have.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
MushroomHunter
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Matt. That you mentioned MHz rather than GHz somewhat confirms my suspicions as they had also mentioned MHz in the contract, rather than GHz. Is there a particular term for a 100% reserved allocation of all the GHz for CPU and RAM?

Here is what I am dealing with -

"We  have vCloud Director on top of vCenter which manages this, and it does  so in a bit different way than the typical reservation pool. vCloud  Director constantly juggles w/ resource pool shares in order to provide /  guarantee what ever it is allocated to you."

Does this make sense?

0 Kudos