VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DHCP via External network connection

I wish to use an existing DHCP server which is outside of my vCloud environment to issue addresses to VM's created inside vCD.

I have an organisation with a direct connection to an external network.

Although I've allocated a very small IP pool to the external network (because it's mandatory) I want to bring virtual machines online within vCD and have them pick up addresses from this external DHCP server and NOT the IP pool created on the vCloud external network.

Can someone explain to me if this will work and how.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, you need to set the VM to "DHCP" in the hw properties window (where you have the option of "Static Pool", "Static Manual" and "DHCP").

Note the "DHCP" naming is inconvinient (IMO). It really means "vCD don't care, IP management is done outside". This of course includes an external DHCP server but it isn't limited to that.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, you need to set the VM to "DHCP" in the hw properties window (where you have the option of "Static Pool", "Static Manual" and "DHCP").

Note the "DHCP" naming is inconvinient (IMO). It really means "vCD don't care, IP management is done outside". This of course includes an external DHCP server but it isn't limited to that.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Massimo, this is perfect.

0 Kudos