VMware Cloud Community
bcoates
Contributor
Contributor

Creating Fenced vApps

I have the need to create fenced vApps but most tutorials I have found require me to use vDS. The problem is my version of vSphere does not allow me to use vDS(it wont allow me to add in the physical uplinks). So is there an alternative approach?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding is you should be able to create a network pool using port group backed networking. This does not require a vDS. vClous should then use this to provision your fenced networks.

0 Kudos
bcoates
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried that and when i create that new network pool based off of that the Pool column (when looking at network pools in vCD) goes to 100% so if a user tries to create a vapp with either a new network or fence the vapp they get the error that there is not enough resources.

0 Kudos
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is because every network you create (Org/vApp/fenced) must be bound to a single portgroup. It sounds like either you have only a single port group in your pool or that you have limited the org to only allow the creation of one network. If it is the former add more portgroups to the pool range so additional networks can be created if its the later increase the number of networks the organisation can provision from  the pool.

Hope this makes sense

Charlie