VMware Cloud Community
adaptives
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Correct way to collect usage data in vCloud using the API

Hi,

I am building an application which will provision objects in vCloud using the RESTfull API. I am hoping, I will be able to provision organizations, org VDC, and vApps to start with.

I would also like to use an API to collect usage data of these provisioned resources, as well as other resources (networks, firewalls, VPN's, etc) that might be provisioned by users directly from the vCloud portal. If I just want to programmatically get daily usage data for all objects that have been provisioned, which of these would be the appropriate way to get it:

• vCloud API
  • VMWare Usage Meter
  • VMWare Chargeback Server

--

Thanks

Parag

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCloud API would let you see what is.  Therefore you would need to program something to track changes over time at given intervals.

Usage Meter won't track networks/firewalls/vpns, etc.  It tracks License usage, not VM usage.  It's also only for VMware Virtualization Service Providers (VSPP).

Chargeback will track the compute consumption (pCPU, pRAM,Storage) in a general sense.  But won't track Network usage (bandwidth) in some situations.  It doesn't track firewall usage & VPN usage last I checked.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCloud API would let you see what is.  Therefore you would need to program something to track changes over time at given intervals.

Usage Meter won't track networks/firewalls/vpns, etc.  It tracks License usage, not VM usage.  It's also only for VMware Virtualization Service Providers (VSPP).

Chargeback will track the compute consumption (pCPU, pRAM,Storage) in a general sense.  But won't track Network usage (bandwidth) in some situations.  It doesn't track firewall usage & VPN usage last I checked.