VMware Cloud Community
yskp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Children vApps?

The vCD API has a Vapp.GetChildrenVapps method, that returns a list of vApps that are nested within the current vApp. Presumably, each child vApp can have child vApps of its own, so that one can create a whole hierarchy of vApps within a single vApp.

However, I couldn't find a way to do this from the vCD UI (I'm using vCD 5.1). Is it possible to have a vApp within a vApp?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you cannot nest a vApp object inside of a vApp Object.

Children refers to ones created/related to the vApp queried.

In the vCloud Director UI it's abstracted from view, because it "shouldn't" matter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, you cannot nest a vApp object inside of a vApp Object.

Children refers to ones created/related to the vApp queried.

In the vCloud Director UI it's abstracted from view, because it "shouldn't" matter.

0 Kudos
yskp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the answer.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "related"? Are those vApps cloned from the original vApp? Or vApps deployed from a particular template? Something else?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what version of vCloud are you on?  I might have confused the call with something else because GetChildrenVapps might be documented in older manuals, but isn't actually used (response might be null, or invalid).

0 Kudos
yskp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This seems to exist in both 1.5 and 5.1. I have never actually checked what it returns in 5.1 - we just kept using the same code.

The docs for ComposeVapp imply that vApps that are "composed" into a vApp are added to its list of children. Is this what you meant?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check your PM.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For those that may see this thread, the api call mentioned will always return an empty list of vApps.