VMware Cloud Community
poltraf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Change manually MAC address

Hi,

a customer needs to keep the same MAC address of a VM in his vCenter to be imported in his org in vCD.

Since this server has an application and its license is binded to the MAC address, they should keep the original MAC address. I know that I can perform this request on vCenter, but not via vCD.

Does exist some kind of workaround?

Thank you.

Raffaello

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe you can try to do it with PowerCLI.

Here's a thread where it's described how to change the MAC Address of a VM via PowerCLI. Hope this helps.

Set Mac address of vCloud VM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is this what you are looking for VMware vCloud Director Documentation Center

0 Kudos
poltraf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well... not exactly: the guide refers to a MAC assigned by vCD and this case is about a VM where the MAC is not one of the vCD assigned, but one assigned by the customer vCenter.

He's uploading his VM inside our cloud, and the only option he has inside his org is to keep the new assigned MAC, or to reset it. But not keep the original one...

0 Kudos
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Maybe you can try to do it with PowerCLI.

Here's a thread where it's described how to change the MAC Address of a VM via PowerCLI. Hope this helps.

Set Mac address of vCloud VM

0 Kudos
poltraf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Uhm this sounds interesting.

Am I wrong or this is applied to vCenter and not vCloud Director, though?

And.... well, I'm not so smart on PowerCLI, should I just launch that few lines inside PowerCLI window?

Apologize for this lack of knowledge..

Thank you for helping

0 Kudos
Chrigoli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi poltraf

Here's some help about the PowerCLI.

How to install: VMware vSphere 5.1

And here some sample scripts incl. how to connect to a vCD: VMware vSphere 5.1

Cheers

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

poltraf

If you import a VM into vCloud Director, the MAC Address will be changed on each NIC Card.  This is to bring it into alignment with what vCloud Director uses for a specific formula.  There is no override option like vCenter to dictate a specific MAC Address.

If you do manually change the MAC in vCenter, this could adversely affect some of the NAT/FW features of vCloud Director or generate errors/warnings about the VM being modified in vCenter.