VMware Cloud Community
richG
Contributor
Contributor

Chain Length: = 2

Hi all,

I have a question I understand how linked clones work. If I created a template from scratch once completed it had a chain length of 1. I then created a vm from the template to my cloud. After testing it and confirming it work ok, I deleted the Guest. I went back to check the template and if had a chain length of 2. Shouldn't this have reverted back to 1 after I removed the guest???

I am running VCD Version 5.1.2.1068441.

I guess I am thinking I might have to consolidate again to remove the old guest all together?? It would seem strange if I do

Thanks

Richg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cfor
Expert
Expert

It would make sense... however it will be 2... The reason is the snapshot that gets created off the base vm, that will then allow for fast provision, does not get deleted - this saves time one the next create from this item.

In ascii art -

To start:

BASE (1:chain)

With One Link From: (both are chain 2)

BASE + SNAPSHOT  (this is what happend to the first vm so the "snapshot" can be copied)

BASE + COPY_SNAPSHOT  (this is the new vm)

Delete the "new vm":

BASE + SNAPSHOT  (this is left)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
richG
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you that explains it.. I have had to take over our Cloud VCD and still learning.. I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
richG
Contributor
Contributor

Ok another question..

Lost and Found with in the VCD under System Administrator & Roles. I found 500 names so my question is what are these names.

I know they are user with in my enterprise, but there are duplicates of a lot of the names.

If they are deleted what affect will have on the guests?

I do know that certain objects are connect to the names.

another question:

with in the VCD under system > manage & Monitor > Organizations is a list of my catalogs, vApps, Running VMs and users

My Virtual Center is reporting I have a total of 344 Virtual machines and Templates

My VCD is reporting Total of 262 vApps, 176 Running VMs which gives me 86 that are not running

The difference is 82 from total vApps to what the VC is reporting so does this mean 82 VM guest are lost?

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

"The difference is 82 from total vApps to what the VC is reporting so does this mean 82 VM guest are lost?"

Could be some lost VM's might be worth a little research...  However could also be a couple otehr things.

1. Shadow VM's if you use fast provision across datastores

2. Items in "stranded items" that are still waiting to be cleaned

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert

"The difference is 82 from total vApps to what the VC is reporting so does this mean 82 VM guest are lost?"

just to add to what cfor has listed:

3.  Does anyone have direct access to your vCenter?  In our environments we had developers who didn't know any better creating VMs directly in vCenter, which the vCD database will not know about.  You should easily be able to determine this by just looking at the VM name in vCenter.  If the VM has a long UUID after the name it is owned by vCloud, if not it was created directly in vCenter.

4.  it's possible that there could be some expired vApps as well that you do not see

0 Kudos