VMware Cloud Community
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot create VDC vCloud Director

Hi All,

Need some help with my proof of concept setup of vCloud director. currently running on 5.1 vCloud Director Appliance. Just to give you an idea I have followed the VMware vCloud Director 5.1  Evaluation Guide which we find on the VMware website.

Note: My setup does not contane VXLAN although we need the VLAN backed network for better network performance.  One of the vExpert has mentioned to create a dummy VXLAN just in the vCloud Director and I am not quite sure how to do that in vCloud Director console.( I have noticed a default VXLAN is already created as I understand vCloud 5.1 has this feature enabled by default)

The setup was successful till creating the Org VDC which failed with the error 'Cannot create VDC' found that disabling and re enabling will get the 'red X' away I think this is false positive as it show us that everything is perfect. although we get a error message in the logs 'Status: Error' and with 'Details: Internal Server Error' find the attached images below.

Anyway when it comes to uploading media after creating the catalog for that Org VDC we get the error message Unable to complete the operation because the current Organization VDC "Demo-Org-VDC" is deactivated or it is not ready".

I have also noticed that we get a error message on vcenter that the vcloud server (cell) cannot create the folder the name already exists  check the last error message from my vcenter server.

also attached the logs in the images below.

I have found two post out of which one does not have resolution yet and the other says its resolved but does not give the fix.

Any help to point me in the right direction will be appreciated.

I will be happy to provide the logs if required.

Thanks,

Ibrahim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wasn't talking about datastores.  I'm talking about the view in the vSphere Client.

Open up the vSphere Client ... and go into the VMs and Templates view (C# = Home button at the top, then VMs and Templates)

In this view there should be a number of Blue folder Icons. Make sure none have the same name as you are describing.

This is directly related to the error message in the vSphere client image you took in the original post "can not create folder.PNG"

vCloud is producing an error because of something happening in vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Guys,

I have attached few images to better understand the issue.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does a folder of the same name already exist in ANYWHERE vCenter?  This is across Hosts and Clusters as well as VMs and Templates.

It literally states duplicate name exception.

0 Kudos
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have checked the datastores and I cant find any folder or template with the same name.

Regards,

Ibrahim

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I wasn't talking about datastores.  I'm talking about the view in the vSphere Client.

Open up the vSphere Client ... and go into the VMs and Templates view (C# = Home button at the top, then VMs and Templates)

In this view there should be a number of Blue folder Icons. Make sure none have the same name as you are describing.

This is directly related to the error message in the vSphere client image you took in the original post "can not create folder.PNG"

vCloud is producing an error because of something happening in vCenter.

0 Kudos
ibi007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I remember that I had deployed the vCloud template for the first time that had some IP issue and I could not get the /cloud page to work. so I imported a new one but turned off the old template which had the same name.

I delete this old template on Friday morning before posting this.

After reading your post I search for the same name in templates and could not find any vm or template with the same name. so  I rename my vCLoud VM form ns-dv-vcd-01 to ns-dv-vCloud-01 did a storage vMotion so that the name change reflects on the storage and bang it started working.

Thanks a tone.

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Kudos