VMware Cloud Community
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

Can't start vApp.Invalid value '' specified for property vCloud_CustomizationInfo.

I have deployed win7 VM in vcloud director using win7 template. I cant able to start this machine. Im getting this error:

Unable to start vApp "vApp_test1".
- null

vCenter Server task (moref: task-174178) failed in vCenter Server "vcenter-name" (f697440b-e16f-42db-8098-29f7b74b7953).
- Invalid value '' specified for property vCloud_CustomizationInfo.

system alerts:

Guest customization failed on this virtual machine. Error is : Error initializing the guest customization configuration. Log file is at 'C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log'.

Can you please help someone.? Do i have to run any sysprep files for win7 in vcloud director machine like winxp??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What version of VCD are you running with?

I believe "vCloud_CustomizationInfo" is responsible for carrying pre-/post-customization script. Seems like VC "reconfigure" task fails and that error might occur if the script is too large (base64-encode value is >= 65535 bytes).

Also sysprep is included in Vista+, so no need to mess with it manually.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
0 Kudos
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

VCD 5.1

Is sysprep included with win7 also? Or do we need to add it in VCD machine manually like XP,2k3..??

0 Kudos
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

> VCD 5.1

This is a bit weird. In 5.1 the maximum allowed size (which is validated upon entry) for customization script is 49000 bytes (to meet 65525 bytes requirement once the value is base64-encoded).

Are you using pre-/post-customization script? Please provide more info:

- its size

- how do you put it in (UI/REST API/upgraded)

- can you run without it

> Is sysprep included with win7 also? Or do we need to add it in VCD machine manually like XP,2k3..??

sysprep is included in all Windows starting from Vista (2k8r2, 7, 8, etc). So no need to do anything manually with it.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
0 Kudos
MadhuVMwarevClo
Contributor
Contributor

Im not using any script now.

I can start VM by disabling Guest customization check box. When i check that box and try to start it wont start. and getting error:

Guest customization has failed in this VM .

0 Kudos
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you get any of customization log files inside the guest OS (C:\Windows\TEMP\customize-guest.log, C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\toolsDeployPkg.log)? If so, please attach those.

What version of VC do you have?

Also please try to run with some basic customization script like

echo > C:\test.txt

to see if that solves "Invalid value '' specified for property vCloud_CustomizationInfo" error.

Also please attach stacktraces and messages around the failed operation from $VCLOUD_HOME/logs/vcloud-container-debug.log.

0 Kudos