VMware Cloud Community
jkatz01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can access vCD page via IP but not URL

I've got this POC pretty much setup, but I can't get the management page to come up when I put the URL in the browser.  It does come up when I put in the address directly...  https://192.168.1.10 works fine, but once I try the URL: https://vcd.company.local all I get is a Unable To Connect: Firefox can't establish a connection.

DNS resolves for these addresses forwards and backwards.

The self-signed SSL cert seems to be installed correctly as it comes up via the IP method.

What am I missing here?

and/or

Where should I look for what I'm missing?  (and look for what)

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using a forward proxy server with your web browser?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is .company.local the real DNS Name in your POC?  Is there a Load Balancer in Play?  More than one cell?  Sounds like a simple DNS cache or lookup issue if you can get there by IP.  is the cell configured for DNS lookup and is the cell hostname configured in Linux?

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using a forward proxy server with your web browser?

0 Kudos
jkatz01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, there is a proxy server.  Don't know if global IT is load balancing it or not.

It's a single vCD cell.

DNS is configured and verified from: cell, sql, vCenter, to all other components including the vShield VM.

Normally, the proxy is configured from a PAC file.  I manually set it to one of the proxy servers and put in an exception for my .local URLs.  That seems to have done the trick.  Thanks for the suggestion!

That being said... Existing services in production do not experience this issue with the proxy servers.  (vCenter and Lab Manager)  Is this a cause for concern when this thing goes live?  And then would the proxy exception be the only workaround?

It might be that the PAC file is routing the vCenter and Lab Manager addresses around the proxy because those are actual company issued DNS records and my POC is using a local (non AD/trusted) DNS server.  Hopefully it would work just fine when it goes live.

Thx!

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your proxy server is able to reach the vCD server via IP but not hostname. Could mean that the proxy server can't resolve the hostname for some reason. Or it could have cache'd the server in a down state or something like that. Check DNS resolution on the proxy server or try restarting it to clear the cache.

0 Kudos