VMware Cloud Community
sundarkambamgud
Contributor
Contributor

Auto-provisioning recommendation

I am trying to setup an environment wherein users will be able to auto-provision servers on click of a button.  I'm looking at 2 flavours of OS - windows and linux.   When the user clicks a button in a webpage, the machine should get created automatically and published into vCenter or using vCloud Director.  Customizations like changing machines names according to company standards, IP change and adding servers to domain all needs to be achieved during the auto-provision.

Can vCloud director in conjunction with vCO be used as Auto-provisioning tool ?   If not, is there any other tool that can do the trick.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jake_robinson_b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't see any reason why it's not possible. You'll need vCenter Orchestrator with the vCloud Director plugin (http://www.vcoteam.info/learn-vco/vmware-kb-tv-how-to-install-and-configure-vmware-vcenter-orchestra...)

and possibly the Perspectives plugin/fling found here: http://labs.vmware.com/flings/perspectives-plug-in-for-vcenter-orchestrator

Also, someone may have already done this. You might want to post this to the vCO forum, or maybe a moderator could move it...

Jake Robinson VCP, vExpert - geekafterfive.com - Twitter: @jakerobinson
damonmaxwell
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, vCloud Director (vCD) in conjunction with VMware vCenter Orchestrator (vCO), which is now known as vRealize Orchestrator, can be used to automate the process of provisioning servers with custom configurations Like (verification). Below is a high-level solution outline for your requirements:

• Configure vCloud Director for server provisioning.
  • Integrate vCloud Director with vRealize Orchestrator.
  • Develop workflows for VM creation, customization, and domain joining.
  • Set up OS customization specs for Windows and Linux.
  • Build a user-friendly web portal for one-click server provisioning.
  • Collect user input for machine names, OS type, etc.
  • Trigger Orchestrator workflows based on user selections.
  • Thoroughly test the end-to-end workflow for reliability.
  • Implement security measures and document the setup for future reference.

This concise approach outlines the key steps to achieve the desired auto-provisioning setup using vCloud Director and vRealize Orchestrator.

0 Kudos