VMware Cloud Community
leeharrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Assigning IP fromIP pool to VM automatically

Hi guys,

A relative newbie to vCD so please bare with me.

We have client with 2 vDC's linked as a datacenter group with a stretched network spanning the two sites. I have configured an IP Pool in both vDC's and although it assigns an IP to a newly built VM in the vCD GUI it doesn't apply it to the NIC, is there a way to achieve this when building VM's?

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, please check the interop guide for VMware Tools and the underlying vSphere version for this to work. VCD makes the call to vCenter along with VMware Tools for any in-guest customization.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi there - I presume this is via Cross-VDC Networking? You will need to set up a subset of the IP pool on each site. At this time, there's no "unified" IP pool mechanism to carve out IP's across all connected oVDCs within the DC Group. For example, if my CIDR is 192.168.1.1/24 and I wanted to allocate 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.150 across two sites, I would put in 192.168.1.100-125 at Site-A and 192.168.1.126-150 to Site-B.

-Daniel

0 Kudos
leeharrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

Hope you are well. Thank you for the reponse. Yes this is cross VDC networking.

Yes I have split the pool across the two sites nas you have suggested and the IP's get assinged in the vCD GUI but it still needs manually assigning to the nic when the OS on the machine boots. Is there a way to get the IP to automatically get configured on the nic?

For instance if I want to create 200 VM's I would like to auto IP them from my IP pool so they have instant network connectivity, automatically.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Lee

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Lee,

Yes it does. For the IP to be applied, VMware Tools must be running and be part of the guest customization process upon instantiation/creation. What OS are you running?

0 Kudos
leeharrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

I am running Windows Server 2019. This is being deployed from a template created from a vApp.

Thank you for the pointer I will look at the customization process.

Thanks,

Lee

0 Kudos
paluszekd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, please check the interop guide for VMware Tools and the underlying vSphere version for this to work. VCD makes the call to vCenter along with VMware Tools for any in-guest customization.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/VMware_GOS_Compatibility_Guide.pdf

0 Kudos
leeharrison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Really helpful, thank you, Daniel.

Lee

0 Kudos