VMware Cloud Community
tomking_chen
Contributor
Contributor

Assign multiple organizations to a vDC

Is this possible to assign multiple organizations to a single vDC? If so, how can it be done?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can create multiple org vDCs from the same provider vDC, but you cannot share a single org vDC between multiple organizations.

Cheers,

Milos

0 Kudos
tomking_chen
Contributor
Contributor

Had another look yesterday, I understand we can assign multiple vDC to a same Organization. In terms of management, is there a way we can create administrators within the Organization to be able to view and manage only a particular vDC?

To make it clear, what I try to achieve is:

User say, Tom is an Organization Administrator. He can see all the vDCs from the vCloud Director. Ideally, for each individual vDC, Tom can create an admin that only be able to view and manage the vDC. Say, Tom created a user call David. When David log into the Organization in vCloud Director, he can only see and manage the vApps and vShield firewall in a particular vDC.

Is this possible?

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

As far as I know you cannot limit users in an org to have access only to a subset of ovDCs for that org. Access control is applied to vApps and Catalogs. In other words, the owner, or the org admin can share vApps and Catalogs with a subset of users within their orgs and that access level can be quite granular through the roles.

I can see a number of usecases where ovDC would be a natural boundary for sharing within an org - feature request?

Cheers,

Milos

0 Kudos
tomking_chen
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, ability to setup boundary at ovDC level will really be fantastic. It will be even better, if within a vDC, multiple vDCs can be created. I guess this is not something technically impossible? Give the fact that you can create multiple child resource pools under a parent resource pool?

0 Kudos