VMware Cloud Community
keeprunning
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are Mac OS X customization settings passed to guest?

We have the need to use Mac OS X VMs in vCloud (running on Mac hardware).  However, when we tried to use the Guest OS Customization options for the VM is shows the following warning and prevents the enabling of guest customization:

Automatic guest customization is not supported on this Guest OS type. The settings on this page will be passed to the Guest OS.
You can use custom scripts to configure the Guest OS. Refer to documentation for details.

I've looked in the User's Guide and can't find any section discussing how these settings would be passed to the Guest OS.  Does anyone know how this works?  Is there a location on the guest VM filesystem where a properties file or script is created?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

In VCD 5.1.x (and earlier implementations) guest customization settings are provided as part of OVF environment.

To get that programmatically you can try to do something similar to what's done for Linux:

${CMD_VMWARE_GUESTD} --cmd "info-get guestinfo.ovfEnv">$TEMP_XML_FILE 2>&1

You can also see those properties using VC's C# client (Options tab > Advanced > Properties).

However, I believe that is only available for VMs which allow guest customization. If you want to play with this, you can try to update guest customization metadata in the database:

update guest_os_type
     set is_personalization_enabled = 1, is_personalization_auto = 1
     where internal_name = 'darwin64Guest'

Hope that helps.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

In VCD 5.1.x (and earlier implementations) guest customization settings are provided as part of OVF environment.

To get that programmatically you can try to do something similar to what's done for Linux:

${CMD_VMWARE_GUESTD} --cmd "info-get guestinfo.ovfEnv">$TEMP_XML_FILE 2>&1

You can also see those properties using VC's C# client (Options tab > Advanced > Properties).

However, I believe that is only available for VMs which allow guest customization. If you want to play with this, you can try to update guest customization metadata in the database:

update guest_os_type
     set is_personalization_enabled = 1, is_personalization_auto = 1
     where internal_name = 'darwin64Guest'

Hope that helps.

/Andrii

/* Please remember to mark answer as 'helpful' or 'correct' such that other users know it can be used and people focusing on ‘unanswered’ questions can skip it. */
0 Kudos
aneverov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also you're very welcome to start a project somewhere like github. If the license will be commercial software friendly (Apache/BSD), I can join and provide my "further thoughts" on what the design should be.

/Andrii

0 Kudos