VMware Cloud Community
PeterBlatherwic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any way to configure nested Organizations?

Hi,

Is it possible to somehow create nested Organizations in vCloud Director 1.5. ie Organizations within other Organizations (other than within the top level sysem).  This could allow eg. different sub-organization within one cutomer cloud, like Company XYZ has a sub-organization for Accounting, another for Engineering, and so forth. This could allow finer control of who gets access to what Catalog items, how cost-centers are organized, allocation of vDC resources, etc.  And still allow some top-level commonality, like Organization-wide Admin and Catalog, with sub-organizations able manage a smaller piece of the over all pie.  (Hoping I am making sense here. 😉

I can sort of see how to do similar with multiple vDCs and a single Organization ... but awkward.

Any thought?  Am I maybe just missing something totally obvious??

PeterB

0 Kudos
6 Replies
charliejllewell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is not currently possible but is something we would be interesed in too. We have sbmitted this as a feature to VMware but who knows???

PeterBlatherwic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Charlie. 

Sounds like we have some mutual interest here, but not yet possible in vCD 1.5.  I hope anyone else will yell loudly if this is possible in some way, or decent work-arounds available. 

Will also set formal feature request on this.

To anyone listeninng from VMware: Please, please, please ...  😉

Sorry for delayed response, but been tied up on multiple things.

-- PeterB

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Can you explain what you would do with nested organizations that you can't do now with multiple separate organizations, or single organizations with multiple org VDCs?

0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

Also it would be nice to have the names of the companies interested in this and what you're using VCD for now. You can send private message if you don't want to post the company name publicly

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

If vCloud supported this we would use it.  The main setup we use vCloud for are internal labs, it would be a nice feature if we could sub-divide some of the groups we have to allow for better team level sharing.  We have gotten by without it, but it could allow for some nice setups (shared catalogs and content among the team, but not "system wide" shared like today's shared catalogs).

I have not thought this all the way thought - but if you want to talk to me more on it I am always available to talk about new features and product direction.

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
_morpheus_
Expert
Expert

We're working on it!

0 Kudos